A comeback year for Graphix OU

courtesy of Graphix OU

from left to right: Lesley Myrvold – Secretary, Imari Searles-Harper – Treasurer, Ciara Rechtzigel – President, Eva Morlock – Social Media Chair, Derek Queen – Vice President

Oakland University’s graphic design organization, Graphix OU, is back with aims to bring design-savvy students together outside of the classroom.

According to Derek Queen, vice president of Graphix OU, a graphic design club had existed for quite some time at OU. However, it became inactive in 2016 due to the graduation of the seniors that were running it.

Graphic design alumna Taihea Hurst, as well as graphic design majors Ciara Rechtzigel and Queen revived the organization in March 2017. The organization has been operating with a new name, new logo and new leadership since.

“The graphics and the design of it [the former logo] was kind of old looking,” Rechtzigel said. “So, we decided to change it.”

Hurst, a senior at the time, became the president of the renewed organization until she graduated spring 2017. Rechtzigel is now the president.

“We basically wanted to create a community of students who have the same interests as us, the same educational or career aspirations.”

Club meetings are every Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and include “critique night,” where students of any major can bring in their designs and projects that they’re working on and receive constructive feedback from their peers.

“It could be a showcase, it could be work in progress [and/or] things that are already done,” Rechtzigel said.

According to Queen, coming to a Graphix OU meeting is a great opportunity to meet new people and network with peers.

The club is organizing workshops for students to attend every other Thursday. The workshops began Oct. 5, with a workshop on Adobe Photoshop and will end Nov. 16 with a workshop on Adobe InDesign. Other workshops include Adobe After Effects and Adobe Illustrator workshops.

“Students can come to these workshops and learn something new, improve their skills,” Queen said. “It’s about building portfolios, becoming better designers and meeting new people.”

From learning about Kinetic Typography through Adobe After Effects, to creating calendars and agendas using InDesign, Graphix OU has an objective project planned for each workshop so that students can apply the knowledge they’ve acquired, said Queen.

Graphix OU is collaborating with Student Video Productions to put on the Adobe After Effects workshop on Oct. 19, said Rechtzigel.

Graphix OU is also offering a complimentary design service, created by Queen, in which other organizations or individuals can request of Graphix OU to create a design for them. Upon completing a form, orgs or individuals can have new logos, fliers, advertisements, t-shirts and more that are designed by the members of Graphix OU for them.

The free design service is something that Queen said he would definitely like to see grow and benefit OU in the future of the organization.

According to Rechtzigel it would also be very beneficial to see more professional development workshops in the future of the organization as well as have more professional designers come to OU to learn from.

Students are encouraged to visit Graphix OU’s website on GrizzOrgs and view the club’s events and workshops in more detail as well as find out more about the organization.