Letter to the Editor

Connor Artman, graduate student in the history program, wrote an e-mail to Ms. Snyder, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, in response to one of OU’s broadcast e-mails. He forwarded his letter to The Oakland Post.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Connor Artman wrote:

Dear Ms. Snyder,

I have heard from a reliable source that the reason OU Admin and the Professors have yet to come to an agreement on contracts is because Admin got (in some cases) double digit pay raises, while the Professors are being told there is no money to provide them with a raise.

Wait a minute… didn’t the board just approve a nearly 10% tuition increase? And we are giving raises to Admin, not the Professors?

If this is even remotely close to the case, allow this letter to serve as a formal complaint against the OU Administration for what can only be described as poor administration of the University. While I am sure that the president, and his crew of diligent administrators, need more money for nicer cars, nicer houses, and nicer clothes to attend dinner parties in, it is the Professors who make Oakland University the amazing institution it is. That the President would need more pay for the work he does (what work that is, I am not quite sure), while the professors should be expected to tighten their belts further for their efforts… well it is appalling.

Please, forward it to any appropriate parties. I can’t imagine what other students might feel if they found out that Russy’s vacation to the South of France was the reason their lit Professor can’t afford payments on her Honda Civic…

Best,

Connor Artman

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Mary Beth Snyder wrote:

Dear Students,

As you might have heard, the Oakland University administrators and representatives of the OU chapter of the American Association of University Professors are in contract negotiations, but have not yet reached a settlement.

Though we hope this situation will be resolved before the start of classes at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 3 (tomorrow), there is a possibility that an agreement will not be reached and some faculty members will strike.

If this occurs, it’s important to remember that some faculty members will hold classes. As such, you should plan to attend all your classes as scheduled. If your instructor does not appear during the first 15 minutes of class, you can then feel free to leave. If you’re enrolled in online courses, log on daily to check for class materials and assignments.

We suggest you check your university e-mail account and Moodle for any communication from instructors. This, too, is important, because you will be responsible for any coursework assigned during a work stoppage.

Regardless of contract negotiations, all university offices will be open and all campus activities will proceed as planned, including the New Student Convocation on Wednesday, Sept. 2, and all Welcome Week activities.

The easiest way for you to regularly get the most current information on the contract situation is to visit the OU homepage or call the bargaining status hotline at (248) 370-2000. We also will provide you with important updates as they occur through e-mails to your university account.

We’re ready to do everything in our power to ensure that you have a productive, and enjoyable year. If a strike occurs, please know that we will continue working earnestly to resolve the issues.  We appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Mary Beth Snyder,

Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management

144 Oakland Center, Oakland University

Rochester, MI  48309-4499

(248) 370-4200  Fax:  (248) 370-4250

[email protected]