Student Org Profile: Organization of Diversity and Health

The Organization of Diversity and Health (ODH) is an on-campus organization that advocates the importance of diversity in cultures, ethnicities and orientation in the healthcare system. President of the organization, Celest Kado, sat down with The Post to talk about the most exciting parts about being a member of ODH, upcoming events and what students interested in joining should know about the organization.

“We help provide community-wide support in attempting to promote for a giving and diverse health and wellness system by participating and running volunteer events for people suffering from chronic illnesses, spreading awareness about possible career opportunities and the relevance of diversity at local high schools and participating in local hospital programs helping sick children suffering from various illnesses,” Kado said.

As for the types of events the organization holds, Kado said ODH works with volunteer-based organizations such as Kids Kicking Cancer.

“We do two volunteer events with them every October,” she said. “We work crafts tables at Cranbrook Institute of Science and Halloween activities for kids at a house party in Romeo. Other volunteer events include Christmas parties, crafts tables, etc.”

Unlike other organizations, ODH does not hold weekly meetings. But when they do, Kado said they don’t disappoint.

“Last year we had the Chief of Staff of St. Johns Providence Hospital come talk to us,” she said. “He was able to give us some information on his background, how he got to where he is now and some advice for all of our pre-med and health majors. We also had someone from Beaumont Hospital come in for a splint work shop, He helped show everyone there how to do temporary casts.”

Kado said the most exciting part of being a part of the organization is meeting different people through it, such as guest speakers at meetings or children of different age groups at volunteering events.

“It is always amazing to see so much good in people doing the things we do,” she said. “It makes any day better.”

Kado added that the organization is always looking for new members and that it is even possible to have a position on the organization’s e-board as members graduate.

“Students thinking about joining this organization need to know that we love what we do and anyone who has volunteered with us always leaves happy,” she said. “We love seeing smiles on kids’ faces, and we love helping in any way possible. We try to find the very best speakers that can give you some advice for whatever you have planned in the future. Joining our organization, if nothing else, will always offer great information.”

ODH also has opportunities such as off-campus seminars and out of state volunteering.

“We are constantly trying to get better and look for things that most benefits our members. We have plenty of awesome opportunities than can lead to even better things,” she said. “Recently, the founder of ODH presented his research at Harvard. Using what you learn from ODH can only benefit you and your future.”

For more information, visit ODH’s GrizzOrg’s page.