Lauren Podell to highlight 6th annual Student to Professional Conference

Lauren Podell will be the keynote speaker at the sixth annual Student to Professional Conference on Saturday, Oct. 10.

Oakland University alumna and current news anchor and reporter for Metro Detroit’s WDIV-TV Local 4 Lauren Podell will star as the keynote speaker at the sixth annual Student to Professional Conference on Saturday, Oct. 10.

Podell, who is set to speak at noon in the Banquet Rooms, graduated from the College of Arts and Sciences in 2008 with a degree in both journalism and communication. During her undergraduate years, she hosted a radio show on WXOU and was also involved in OUTV.

“This is definitely by far the biggest group of Oakland University students I’ve spoken to at one time,” Podell said.

She added that although she always feels comfortable and prepared to speak in front of others, it’s somewhat intimidating when it’s a larger group. Regardless of this, Podell is still looking forward to returning to campus.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great opportunity for these students to learn from one another and hopefully I’ll be able to give them some guidance,” she added.

Following Podell’s speech, several other OU faculty members and alumni, along with current business professionals, will be presenting in the Oakland Center between 1 and 4 p.m.

These presentations will provide tips and advice on a variety of career-related topics for students as they embark on their journey from college into the professional world.

Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the event is free for students. Professional dress is required.

There will also be an optional “Morning Mingle” from 9 to 11 a.m. where students can network with representatives from companies like Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Quicken Loans and OU Credit Union.

For more information and to register online, visit www.oakland.edu/careerservices/s2p.  

TIMES AND LOCATIONS OF SESSIONS AT THE STUDENT TO PROFESSIONAL CONFERENCE

12:00 p.m.

• Keynote speaker Lauren Podell and lunch (Banquet Rooms)

1:10 p.m.

• Art of Networking (Gold Room C)
  • Building Your Personal Brand (Gold Room B)
  • Learn How to Get What You Want in Your First Job Through Successful Negotiations (Gold Room A)
  • Resume Ready: How to Stand Out Against the Competition (Oakland Room)
  • Take Control: Manage Your Well-Being (128-130)

2:10 p.m.

• Ace the Interview (Oakland Room)
  • How Can Work Culture = My Job Satisfaction? (128-130)
  • How to Write a Stellar Linkedin Profile: Your Virtual Resume (Gold Room C)
  • Intern Your Way to Success (Gold Room A)

3:10 p.m.

• Facing Adversity in the Workplace: Conflict Resolution (Gold Room C)
  • Life After College: A Panel Discussion with OU Alum (Fireside Lounge)
  • Understanding Your Benefit Package (Gold Room A)

4:00 p.m.

• Conference Wrap-up Session: Free ice cream, professional notebook and raffle for dinner with employers (Oakland Room)