New student organization raises awareness of the democratic process

Out of all of the 289 student organizations on campus, there are only eight organizations that fall in the political category.  

Students for Bernie Sanders at Oakland University is one of the newest political organizations on campus.

“Our group is here to help students register to vote, and we aren’t really giving out facts about the other candidates running,” Kyle Cooper, president of Students for Bernie, said. 

The organization has many events coming up, and Cooper added that college students should be more involved and aware of how the voting and democratic processes work.

On Oct. 28, the organization helped students register to vote. 

“In terms of another registration day, we are aiming to do one once a month, and the next one may be on the last Wednesday in November,” Cooper said. 

Nov. 12 is the Million Student March, which is very similar to the Million Man March. According to CNN, the first Million Man March was on Oct. 16, 1995, and it called on African-American men to take responsibility for improving themselves, their families and their communities.

The organization will be participating in the march at 12 p.m. at Elliott Tower.  After the march, everyone will be meeting up to write letters to the legislators in the Michigan Congress and the national Congress.

The Million Student March is focused on students, graduates and workers who are dealing with college debt.  Students who participate demand tuition-free public college, cancellation of all student debt and a $15 minimum wage for all campus workers.  Everyone and anyone can participate in the nation-wide day of action.

According to The Million Student March website, the average college graduate of the class of 2015 has over $35,000 in debt, and more than 40 million Americans share a total of $1.2 trillion in student debt.

As of today, there will be 90 colleges and high schools throughout the U.S. participating in this march. OU is one of the six universities in Michigan participating in the march. The march really aligns closely with Sanders’ views on education. 

According to berniesanders.com, if Sanders becomes president, one thing he plans to do is make college tuition free and college graduates debt-free.  Many countries such as Germany and Chile eliminated tuition, and his plan is to follow in their footsteps. Sanders also wants to lower the interest rates for student loans from 4.29 percent to 2.37 percent.  

The organization will host several democratic debate watch parties, in which the organization watches the democratic debate.  The next watch party is on Nov. 14 at 8 p.m. in the Oakland Room inside the Oakland Center. 

For more information on the Students for Bernie Sanders at Oakland University organization, their upcoming events or the Million Man March, visit their Facebook page.

For more information on Bernie Sanders and his positions on different issues, visit his website at berniesanders.com or feelthebern.org.