Take a trip to Art Prize in Grand Rapids with SPB

The Student Program Board is taking its next trip to Art Prize in Grand Rapids on Sept. 23.

The Event

According to the Art Prize website, “Art Prize is an open, independently organized international art competition which takes place for 19 days each fall in Grand Rapids, Michigan.”

Artists from all over the world gather in the downtown city area of Grand Rapids to display their art. After viewing the pieces and the artists, the public votes on the best and/or their favorite piece/artists and the winning artists of Art Prize are awarded with a grant, which they use to promote and continue their art.

According to Michael Larue, travel director of  SPB, the Art Prize trip is a great opportunity to show students the city of Grand Rapids in a different light, an affordable trip and a means for students to learn about artists and art, and to have fun.

This year’s Art Prize runs Sept. 20 through Oct. 8., in downtown Grand Rapids.

How to Get There

Students interested in going to Grand Rapids to see Art Prize can purchase their tickets at the Bear Cave Rental Center, in the basement of the Oakland Center. All interested must present an Oakland University ID to purchase tickets. The tickets are $10 each.

The Plan

On Sept. 23 at 7:30 a.m., students that have already purchased their tickets will gather at Oakland. They will hop in a coach bus and will begin their journey toward Grand Rapids, where they will eventually arrive at 10:30 a.m.

Students will then be able to explore the city and walk around viewing the art as they please.

“There are no restrictions,” Larue said, “the students have the day to themselves.”

At 9:30 p.m., students will remount the coach bus and make their way back to OU’s campus, where they will arrive at 12:30 a.m.

SPB and Art Prize History

A trip to Art Prize, organized by SPB, was last organized and executed two years ago by Liz Iwanski, travel director of the SPB at the time.

According to Larue, the trip was successful.

“I’m pretty sure it sold out,” he said.

This year’s Art Prize trip is thanks to Larue’s planning, and will hopefully meet similar success.

Larue mentioned that he has never been to Art Prize and that he is looking forward to going this year with the SPB.

Questions and Contact Info

Art Prize is a trip brought to the students of OU by SPB. There were no collaborators in the makes of this excursion.

Lastly, students are encouraged to contact SPB at [email protected] with any questions regarding the Art Prize trip or any other events SPB in planning.