Chick-fil-A expansion still provides limited options

The Oakland Center is often thought of as the go-to place across campus to grab a bite to eat with its expanded Chick-fil-A and the arrival of Moe’s Southwest Grill. Though students may never stop to think about the different menu options offered at the full restaurants of these chains.

According to Chick-fil-A’s website, there are countless food options the Oakland University location does not have. Some examples include grilled chicken nuggets, multiple signature salad options and, of course, the Chick-fil-A staple milkshakes.

After a 3.5 million dollar expansion to the Pioneer Food Court, only a few more options have been added to the menu at the Oakland location. Currently students can now get spicy chicken as well as limited breakfast options, which were not included in the older version of the franchise.

Some students are not upset with the limited menu options as a larger variety may not prove worthwhile.

“I don’t think they need more food options (at Chick-fil-A) because I feel like having all the options would be overwhelming and people might take longer in line doing so,” Natalie Kreps, sophomore, said. “They also probably wouldn’t use most of the stock they get with newer options because people will default to the transfer meal.”

However, the Chick-fil-A on campus was originally conceived to have more options than it currently has.

“We had a problem with the university Black Board System, so instead of taking orders digitally and having them prepared, we have to use paper tickets,” Mark McCormic, resident district manager at Chartwells, said.

“We actually started out the fall semester with more options, but the line practically never moved, so we had to cut back.”

However, the problem with the Black Board System will hopefully be repaired within the coming month, according to McCormic.

“This fix will hopefully bring more options, like soft serve and frozen lemonade,” he said.

These dessert options, and other options soon to be brought to the Chick-Fil-A Express will not be added to transfer meals.

“It’s too hard to keep track of, plus all of the core menu items are already present,” McCormic said.

Despite the current lack of menu options, students still line up to get a taste of what is currently Michigan’s only accessible Chick-fil-A location. Competition will soon arise as new locations are coming soon to Lansing and inside the Metro Detroit Airport.

For more information on campus food, visit oakland.edu/chartwells or Chick-fil-A’s website.