What OU can do for yOU: Career Services

Career Services is a free service offered to current students as well as Oakland University Alumni. Previously located inside of Vandenberg Hall, this June marks six years from the new location inside of North Foundation Hall.

Although staff are unsure when Career Services was first established, most agree that the center will provide students with the help they need to land a job or internship.

According to their website, Career Services’ mission is “to provide innovative and comprehensive services empowering students and alumni to achieve life long career success.”

Every semester career services reaches out to students through e-mails and various events around campus.  These events include job fairs and networking workshops.

Through one-on-one advising, students learn how to create a strong resume and useful tips on how to prepare for job interviews. Oakland University’s various student organizations can also request a more personalized and hands-on workshop for their organization.

Career Services is constantly creating new ways to assist students.

“Our new program, which is launching soon, will include a more interactive front desk.”  Emily, sophomore and career ambassador, said. “Students should know that career services is not job placement, rather a tool for building skills for professional success.”

The new front desk will include resume help for walk-ins as well as resources for those students who do not need to interact face-to-face with a career ambassador.

Career Services also maintains OUCareerLink. OUCareerLink is an online database of on and off campus jobs. The site has a similar design to LinkedIn but is only offered to current OU students or OU alumni.  The program assists in locating jobs and internships for these people.

Students can upload resumes and apply to jobs from the site. Current job postings include companies such as Fiat Chrysler, Beaumont Health and Quicken Loans.

Students and alumni must first register using their Oakland e-mail before gaining access to OUCareerLink.  Then they can upload a resume and create a profile.

Walk-in advising is available on Monday through Thursday from noon – 4:30 p.m. and Friday from noon -1 p.m. Staff members recommend setting an appointment during office hours from 8 a.m. –  5 p.m. Evening hours are available upon request.

For more information and to view a full list of services offered, go to oakland.edu/careerservices.