PRAd Club helps students in Public Relations and Advertising

New club welcomes students

The Public Relations and Advertising Club at Oakland University (PRAd) is new on campus, and its sole purpose is to provide Oakland students in the public relations and advertising communities with resources outside of the classroom.

Laura Fry, journalism professor and faculty adviser for PRAd, explained that the club started last winter semester. 

“Students in my Introduction to PR course were interested in starting a chapter of PRSSA [Public Relations Student Society of America], and some of my Introduction to Advertising students have also indicated interest in participating in the AAF [American Advertising Federation] student competition,” she said. “So, we decided to form an advertising and public relations club.”

PRSSA is a branch of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).

Emily Meyers, president of PRAd, explained that the club’s focus is for students to gain perspective on the industries while sharpening or developing their skills.

“We take in all suggestions from the faculty in order to plan workshops or speaking events for the students to grow from and for the executive board to grow from,” she said.

The club does not hold consistent meetings at the moment because the executive board plans events in advance.

“We do not have an exact count of members at this point, as we just had our first meeting a couple weeks ago,” Meyers said. “It was a meet-and-greet gathering to share our mission with the students and answer any questions that they may have, in addition to things that they would like to see happen in the organization.”

In the winter 2017 semester, the club will begin to keep a record of their members, as it works on applying to become a part of the PRSSA.

In order for PRAd to become a part of PRSSA, the club needs to have at least 50 members, and OU must offer public relations as a major. Currently, it is offered only as a minor. However, Meyers explained that OU is in the process of having a major approved.

“This student organization is a stepping stone to growing the public relations and advertising programs through alternate opportunities beyond the numerous opportunities that the faculty and communication and journalism department offers, through events and required internships,” Meyers said.