NRHH Turkey Drive to help families in need

NRHH gives back to families in the Oakland community for Thanksgiving

The National Residence Hall Honorary’s (NRHH) Turkey Drive is collecting canned, nonperishable food and holding penny wars to raise money to purchase Thanksgiving turkeys for families in need. 

The drive began Nov. 3, and all proceeds will be given to families in Oakland County for Thanksgiving.

Lydia Sadow, philanthropy chair for NRHH, planned the event.

“The purpose of the event is to provide a home-cooked meal this Thanksgiving to families who can’t afford it,” she said. “We knew we wanted to do a canned food drive, but it’s not Thanksgiving without turkey. So we organized penny wars to raise money to buy turkeys for each family we donate to.”

The penny collection jars are located at the front desks of Oak View Hall, Vandenberg Hall and Hamlin Hall. There is also a collection jar in the Ann V. Nicholson Apartments 4000 building. Whichever building raises the most money will wins $100 for its hall programs, a golden turkey trophy and bragging rights.

“We encourage students to join us in giving back to families in the Oakland community because not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to provide Thanksgiving dinner for their family, something I find most people take for granted,” Sadow said.  

Jessica Quandt, programming chair for NRHH, worked with Sadow to put the Turkey Drive together.

“We request that students donate food that would go well with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, like canned cranberries, instant mashed potatoes and boxed stuffing,” she said. 

Students can drop off their food items at the front desks of Oak View, Vandenberg and Hamlin, or the 4000 building of the Ann V. Nicholson Apartments. Once students donate, they can sign their name on a paper turkey to represent their charitable contribution.

From a young age, Quandt was taught the importance of helping people who aren’t fortunate enough to celebrate the holidays with a warm, cooked meal.

“This is something I have always been passionate about because, growing up, I would go out with my own family and volunteer to help families in my own county, and now I get the chance to do it for families in Oakland County,” she said.

This food drive is an opportunity for students to join in on the holiday season of giving. The event ends on Nov. 20 and all the food and proceeds will be delivered to the families on Nov. 21.