Track and field breaks three school records at SVSU

The men’s and women’s track and field team competed at Saginaw Valley State University on Saturday, Jan. 30.

It was a cloudless 35 degree Saturday morning on Jan. 30, any runner would say it was a little on the cold side for a track meet, but none of that mattered in the heated indoor track complex at Saginaw Valley State University — the site of the Jets Pizza Invitational last Saturday where the men and women of the Oakland University track and field team traveled to compete.

The meet began at 11 a.m. with the field events including the high jump, weight throw, discuss, long jump and pole vault. 

In the field events Oakland competed well. The meet was not scored, but there are a few honorable mentions to speak of including freshman Whitney Mergens, who came in fourth with a long jump of 17 feet 6.6 inches and sophomore Matthew Jordan with a triple jump of 43 feet, nine inches, putting him in fourth place as well.  

At 1 p.m. the running started, beginning with the distance medley relay. Oakland came into the picture during the 60-meter hurdles with a fourth place finish from Tre Brown at a time of 8.53 seconds. 

Oakland’s men’s sprint squad was lead by junior Aaron Davis, who had a couple of podium finishes for the day, including a second place finish in the 60-meter dash and a first place finish in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.8 seconds. 

For the women, it was sophomore Kendell Jefferson, who had an impressive second place finish in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.66 seconds to break her own school record. 

Also on the list of record breakers last Saturday was senior Chris Scott, who finished the 800-meter dash in a time of 1:52.6, which put him in third place and broke Oakland’s previous record of 1:57.0.  

The Golden Grizzlies dominated in the 3,000-meter run, where both the men’s and women’s teams took the number one and two spot in the race. 

For the boys it was two juniors, Bryce Stroede in first with a time of 8:14.9, tying his previous school record, and Jacob Bowman in second with a time of 8:21.8. Close by was Junior Andrew Bowman, with a time of 8:22.7 putting him in fourth place. 

On the women’s side with the first place finish was freshman Rachel Levy, also breaking a school record with a time of 9:44.0. Miranda Haas came in second with a time of 9:50.9. 

The teams showed their depth in the race, with the men taking five of the first 10 places, and the women taking six of the first 10 places. 

“It’s shaping up for a lot of excitement  at the end of February when we get to the league championships, and we’re excited to get there,” head coach Paul Rice said after the meet. 

The team will travel to the Youngstown State Mid-Major Double Duals in Youngstown, Ohio on Feb. 5-6.