Oakland 2, Green Bay 1: Women’s soccer rallies to down Phoenix


Ian Levinson

The Golden Grizzlies scored in the 68th and the 86th minute of the game.

Oakland University women’s soccer made a comeback against Green Bay on Saturday, Oct. 15. The 2-1 victory places Oakland at 6-8-1, 3-3-0 in the Horizon League.

The Golden Grizzlies managed 19 shots, 10 of which were on goal, as opposed to Green Bay’s nine shots, four on goal. Each team accumulated seven fouls.

Green Bay started strong, unleashing the first shot of the game in the fifth minute. The shot was blocked, but Green Bay was awarded a free kick in subsequent play. The shot went high over the net.

Oakland responded with a series of attacks.

Alice Palmer and Cecilie Dokka each sent two shots, all unsuccessful, toward Green Bay’s net. The Oakland offense was halted by a foul in the 12th minute.

Palmer ripped a shot in the 14th minute that went wide. Oakland garnered two corner kicks, continuing the pressure on Green Bay in front of the net.

Green Bay eventually cleared the ball, but still had to face Oakland in the midfield. The Golden Grizzlies held the Green Bay advance and once again took command of the ball.

In the 20th minute, both Brooke Miura and Dokka assaulted the net. Although the shots were denied, Oakland made efforts to sustain a presence in front of Green Bay’s net.

Oakland’s aggressive play resulted in a foul, transitioning control of the ball to Green Bay. Green Bay’s chances were dashed when an offside call was raised against the team.

Palmer fired a shot down the middle that was saved in the 26th minute.

Green Bay responded quickly, racing downfield. Green Bay player Nicole Piette wove through Oakland’s defense, creating an opportunity. Piette scored her first goal of the season in the 27th minute.

Oakland reconfigured its lineup, sending in three substitutions over the course of two minutes. The fresh legs did little to stop Green Bay’s newfound momentum.

The Golden Grizzlies changed pace, going on the defensive for the remainder of the half. Withstanding three shots from Green Bay, Oakland ended the first period down 1-0.

The Golden Grizzlies commenced the second half with a coordinated approach on Green Bay’s net. Two corner kicks — one in the 50th minute and one in the 51st minute — presented opportunities, but the Golden Grizzlies were unable to close. Palmer ripped a shot from the right wing in the 53rd minute that landed wide.

The Golden Grizzlies caught a break in the 68th when they were awarded a corner kick. Feeding off the shot, Aly Rawson, assisted by Palmer, netted a goal for Oakland, tying the game 1-1 in the 69th minute.

A string of four substitutions supplied Oakland with ample power to control the ball and conduct strikes against Green Bay.

The game seemed to be heading toward overtime as Green Bay withstood Oakland’s drives and a penalty kick from Palmer. But Sydnye Gagner, assisted by Sydney Duggan and Ali Amante, put the game away with her eighth goal of the season in the 87th minute. Oakland was then able to hold Green Bay and end the game 2-1.

“Anybody who was here tonight, or watched the game online, saw a very dominant performance by us in the second half,” Oakland head coach Mags Saurin said. “Going into halftime, our focus was really to make sure that we got the next goal.”

Gagner attributed the win to excellent team communication.

“At halftime we had a big talk,” Gagner said. “Communication is always a huge thing on the field, so we were talking to each other positively and helping each other out.”

Oakland will travel to rival University of Detroit Mercy LET on Wednesday, Oct. 19 at 3 p.m. You can watch on ESPN3.