Students to participate in Make a Difference Day

Volunteers from Oakland University will come together Oct. 22 to participate in Make a Difference Day, a national community service event with the goal of improving lives.

“OU has been involved with Make a Difference Day since its beginning 25 years ago,” said Hannah Clark, graduate assistant of Service Learning and Leadership at OU.

Clark is responsible for organizing the university’s participation in Make a Difference Day. She reaches out to local nonprofits that could use volunteers and connects them with students.

“Students can look forward to a morning full of fun!” Clark said. “They will make new friends, network with local nonprofits and give back to the community. This is also a great resume builder . . . Another cool aspect of this event is that it is nationwide, so all across the country, people are giving back to their communities and doing their part to make the world a little better.”

“I encourage students to get involved because they will be participating in the nation’s largest day of service,” she added. “It’s a great opportunity to give back to the community and network with other students and nonprofits.”

Clark said that, this year, OU will be sending students to areas in the Pontiac, Rochester, Auburn Hills and Detroit.

The sites include Gleaners in Detroit, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, the Older Person’s Commission (OPC), the Campus Student Organic Farm and Dream Center Pontiac, among several others.

“I think it’s really cool for OU to partake in a national event while we serve the community around us,” Clark said.

She said that the OPC ties in particularly well with the OU community.

“OPC will have a craft fair and will send people to homes to help rake people’s leaves,” Clark said. “One of the sites is actually a former OU professor, so students will have the opportunity to help him.”

The event is maintaining its campus presence; over 500 students are signed up for this year, while just over 500 participated last year.

Students who are signed up to participate can find more information about what to expect and an event agenda on OU’s website.