Graduate Open House returns

Archived photo by Erika Barker

The Graduate Open House will have information about admission requirements, the application process, and financial aid and payment options

Oakland University Graduate Study and Lifelong Learning will host a Graduate Open House on Oct. 19 from 5 to 7 p.m. to educate individuals on more than 130 doctorate, master’s and graduate certificate programs that are available at OU.

The Graduate Open House is a signature event that has been hosted for over 20 years and is held twice every year, once in October and again in March.

“The attendees of the Graduate Open House are in for a great treat,” said Claudia Petrescu, dean of graduate education.

Open house attendees are encouraged to view the information tables from the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering and Computer Science, School of Health Sciences, Student Financial Services, School of Nursing and more.

Students will also have the opportunity to converse with program representatives and watch a financial aid presentation.

Petrescu encouraged students to attend the event.

“Get knowledgeable about graduate programs, about what it means to be a graduate student, and if and which graduate degree matches your career choices,” she said.

“I find it thrilling to see the hundreds of people walking through the doors eager to be on OU’s campus and excited to learn about our great graduate programs. To see so many people in one room talking, interacting, smiling and laughing, it is inspiring and humbling at the same time.

There are some positions that demand a degree higher than a bachelor’s.

Today’s jobs require people to have a strong knowledge base that allows them to adapt fast to the changing need of the workplace,” Petrescu said. “However, there are a variety of reasons why people attend graduate school. For some, the skills and knowledge gained from a graduate degree can expand job opportunities or increase their ability to advance faster in their careers. For others, it satisfies intellectual curiosity or nourishes a passion.”

All and all, a graduate degree provides individuals with a higher job satisfaction that can lead to an overall fulfillment in life, according to Petrescu.

Petrescu had advice to offer undergraduate students who are ready to graduate and contemplate what to do after graduation:

“Think of what you learned during your undergraduate studies and how you want to use what you learned,” she said. “Do you want to practice what you learned? Then get a job. Do you have a strong need to continue learning what you started in your undergraduate studies? Then talk with your faculty about options to continue your studies. Attend a Graduate Open House to explore options. But please, don’t rush to go to a graduate school just because you don’t know what else to do. We are here to help undergraduate students explore what is the best option for them after they graduate.”

For additional information or to register visit https://wwwp.oakland.edu/ucm/lp/FY17/grad/events/grad-open-house/.