Grizz Art celebrates student art

Nowshin Chowdhury

Students submitted some of their artwork for consideration. The winner’s artwork will be displayed inside Kresge Library.

Kicking off on Oct. 26, Grizz Art is an opportunity for Oakland to celebrate the artistic talent of its students.

“I think that student artwork is definitely something that should be displayed on campus,” said Derek Queen, visual communications director of Oakland University Student Congress (OUSC).

Queen, a junior graphic design major, wants to make sure that the campus community views and appreciates the artistic talent that students have.

Although this isn’t the first year that Grizz Art has been around, Queen and his team took it over and completely revamped it, so student talent can be recognized and rewarded.

There will be four installments and submission opportunities for Grizz Art. The first installment will be from Oct. 26 to Dec. 15. The deadline to submit art for this installment is Oct. 21. The art must be able to be hung up on a wall and will be placed in a display case in Kresge Library. Queen hopes that, in the winter semester, the initiative will be able to accept 3-D artwork such as sculptures.

Queen emphasized that all students, not just art majors, are welcome to submit their work.

“You don’t have to be an art major to be artistic,” he said. “If you’re artistic and you have a talent you want to show off, I want to help you do that.”

Students who want to participate have to fill out an application, available at the OUSC office. The form asks for the name of the piece, the media, dimensions of the piece and a brief description. Students are allowed to submit more than one piece.

“I have been advised by the library to be mindful of what we put in the public display,” Queen said. “Try to avoid nudity and touchy subjects.”

After the application and the artwork have been submitted, the piece will be reviewed by a six-member committee of graphic design majors who will determine whether the art should be displayed. A number of pieces will go on display and prizes will be awarded.

The first place winner will receive $100 in Grizz Cash. Second place will score $50 in Grizz Cash. All students with artwork featured in Grizz Art will receive a Grizz Art T-shirt.

After the first exhibit ends, the next installment is Dec. 15 to Feb. 21, and submissions are due by Dec. 13. The next two exhibitions are Feb. 22 to April 25 with submissions due Feb. 17, then April 26 to June 23 with submissions due April 21.

While Grizz Art is limited to one display in Kresge for now, Queen hopes to expand the initiative to the Oakland Center, especially if there is an influx of submissions.

For more information on Grizz Art, visit https://wwwp.oakland.edu/ousc/initiatives/, stop by the OUSC office and ask for Derek Queen, email [email protected] or call (248) 370-4298.