A Trusted Source of Independent Student Journalism since 1987.

Student Org Spotlight: Student Nurses Association

The Student Nurses Association of Oakland University (SNAOU) is just one organization that is available for nursing and pre-nursing students.

The SNAOU’s mission statement is centered on promoting and encouraging community involvement, student activities and educational opportunities, and is why senior nursing major Sara-Jane Dakroub became involved with this group.

She has been a member of this organization since her first semester of nursing school in winter 2015 and is now president of the organization.

“I joined SNAOU in an effort to learn more about my future profession,” Dakroub said, now president. “SNAOU offers various volunteering, academic, networking, and social opportunities for nursing students.”

“I have made so many awesome friends within my nursing program,” she said. “It has brought me closer to students within my cohort and others. I have also met several pre-nursing students, which is so exciting to me because one of my goals as president was to increase the participation level among pre-nursing students. In this way, they are prepared for the program before even being accepted.”

Bianca Shieu, junior nursing major, holds the image and breakthrough position on the board.  She publicizes activities and coordinates events and guest speakers.

“SNAOU is an awesome platform for student nurses to discuss current issues, get involved in all the activities SNAOU has to offer, and so on,” Shieu said. “I get to stay in touch with what is going on in my school and each month we have speakers that present different topics. By participating in SNAOU activities, it helps me in finding an area of nursing that I am truly interested in.”

Dakroub encourages other pre-nursing and nursing students to get involved.

“SNAOU gives students the opportunity to be a student leader, maintain humanitarian experience through volunteering and meet new people as well as nursing professionals.”

“I have had the privilege of networking with a variety of successful and accomplished individuals, such as the dean for our nursing school, Dr. Judy Didion,” Dakroub said.

There are no requirements to join, but interested students must fill out a membership form, available on GrizzOrgs. Students who want a graduation cord must collect points by participating in SNAOU activities.

For more information on SNAOU and other student organizations, visit the student org directory on GrizzOrgs.

The Oakland Post • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Oakland Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *