Toga at the Tower

What better way to celebrate Homecoming weekend than party in a bed sheet?

Toga at the Tower is on Sept. 23 from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Elliott Tower. And while a toga isn’t required, it’s strongly encouraged.

This will be an evening of music, courtesy of WXOU, dancing and novelty entertainment

And what’s a toga party without the delicious Greek delicacies? Stop by the food truck to get your fix. There will also be non-alcoholic beverages.

All Oakland University students and alumni are welcome to attend.

This is the first year OU is trying out this event. It is being put on by the Student Program Board.

Jean Ann Miller, director of the Center for Student Activities and Leadership Development, explained the event was created by the executive members of the Student Program Board at their annual summer retreat.

“There were no homecoming activities associated with the Elliott Tower and a need for a Homecoming event for OU students,” Miller said. “The two ‘needs’ were put together and Toga at the Tower was created.”

Miller said the event was developed with OU students in mind.

“Homecomings tend to be alumni-oriented, but our current students, who will be OU alumni in the near future, should be part of the celebration too,” she said.

The event will also highlight this new addition to campus.

“Elliott Tower was donated to be ‘a rallying point for student activities and creates a stunning visual centerpiece for Oakland’s campus,’” she said, quoting oakland.edu. “What better and clever way to kickoff OU’s Homecoming and Reunion Weekend than with Toga at the Tower!”

In addition to this event, there are plenty of other festivities coming up.

Homecoming and Reunion Weekend begins on Sept. 23 with a carnival-themed kick-off event. It will run from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Oakland Center. Attendees can load up on classic treats like caramel corn, cotton candy, hot dogs, corn dogs, lemonade and soda pop.

One highlight is the Karaoke for a Cause, where belting out some Adele can help out the Oakland University Disability Support Services. It will be held in the Gold Rooms, with a suggested donation of $3.

There will also be a T-Shirt Exchange at the Fireside Lounge, where bringing a T-shirt from another school will score you an honorary Homecoming T-shirt. All shirts will be donated to The Baldwin Center clothes closet.

Other activities include balloon darts and a bean bag and ring toss.

Another must-attend event is the Homecoming Barbecue on Sept. 24 from 1 to 3 p.m. All members of the OU community are welcome to join this grilled food fest, sponsored by the Oakland University Credit Union and Liberty Mutual.

It will be located on the lower deck of the P-29 parking structure, with general parking in P-26. Handicap parking will also be available in P-29 on the street-side first level.