A Trusted Source of Independent Student Journalism since 1987.
Running+club+was+founded+in+2012+at+Oakland+University.+Students+get+together+and+run+to+stay+healthy.+

Dongfu Han

Running club was founded in 2012 at Oakland University. Students get together and run to stay healthy.

Student Org Spotlight: Running Club

College is the time when students can explore their interests and broaden their horizons. Student organizations at Oakland University allow students to do just that.

OU has over 350 student organizations. From academics and Greek life to club sports and more, students are bound to find a group that excites them. One organization that is available for students is Running Club.

“Students should join because it’s fun,” Danielle Elder, president of Running Club said.

“Running with others is way more enjoyable than running by yourself, and Running Club is a super low-commitment club that is a great way to meet new people.”

Elder is linguistics major and biology minor.

Vice President Courtney Sharbaugh is pursuing a psychology major with a minor in communication. She has been involved in Running Club for three years, and is also a member of Young Life and Barbelles on campus.

Sharbaugh thinks being a part of this organization is a good way for students to form relationships with one another and discover more about themselves.

“It’s a great way to meet people and find your place, figure out who you are or help you find people who are interested in the same things you are,” she said.

Sharbaugh does not like running but she likes how she feels after. “I love how it makes me feel after and meeting people,” she added.   

“[You] grow relationships and make connections with people, kind of like networking because you never know what could happen.”

The organization started in 2012.

“We meet four days a week,” she said. “You don’t have to come everyday, whenever you get the chance too. It’s real laid-back and relaxed.”

No runner left behind” is their policy, so all are encouraged to join. “It’s okay if you’re slower,” Sharbaugh said.

Elder encourages more first-year college students to join. “We have tons of new members this year, mostly freshman!”

“Running club accommodates all levels of runners, even those with low experience, or who are trying to get back in shape,” she added.

“I only started running last year and I’m president! We love seeing new faces and we would be so excited to have you!”

As one of those newcomers, Michael Grinols, looked forward to joining this organization despite being a recent OU grad.

Grinols graduated in May with a degree in mechanical engineering.

“I moved to Rochester Hills about two months ago from St. Clair Shores,” Grinols said. “I joined Running Club to put a better focus on my shorter running distance as well as get to know the running areas around Oakland since I just moved out.”

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to get to know everyone and improve myself alongside new friends. It makes tough workouts much easier and almost something to look forward to.”

Interested in joining this student organization or have questions? Running Club can be found on Facebook, Twitter and Grizz Orgs or email [email protected] for more information.

The Oakland Post • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Oakland Post Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *