Makers’ Studio adds space, creates community

Students have access to the studio Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bohdanna Cherstylo

What’s gray, has the latest technology for modern art and is filled with the colorful minds of students?

The Makers’ Studio, formerly known as the Art Garage, opened on June 22. This long-dreamed of project was designed to give Oakland University’s Art and Art History students and professors an open place to work.

“Even before we had a graphic design degree, we needed more space,” said Dick Goody, associate professor and chair of the Art and Art History Department, via email. “Graphic design added over 200 [students] to our department, so our space needs became critical. Kevin Corcoran, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, was instrumental in securing the former garage, which was a godsend for us.”

When the Art and Art History Department started adding new digital mediums to its course offerings, the need for space grew.

“. . . back then we had to put our new media students in one crammed computer studio with only twelve work stations,” Goody added. ”We also had a small former faculty office, which housed a laser cutter and small 3-D printer. We were bursting at the seams. More than anything, it was about meeting our needs and the new space does just that, which is truly exhilarating.”

The studio is located in a 2,000-square-foot garage that is right next to the Police and Support Services building. Besides having state-of-the-art work stations, there’s an area for classes to be held. Huge windows bring in plenty of sunlight for students to work on projects and attend classes.

“The space itself is great, with its huge doors and soaring ceiling,” Goody said. “It’s the first day of term in the Makers’ Studio, and anything seems possible.”

According to a press release on the Art and Art History website, this is the first addition to the department in 11 years.

Even though the space is designed for art majors, Goody said the eventual goal is to include everyone in the campus community in the space.

“With all the equipment in there we have to be careful because everyone needs to be trained,” he said. “Once we have a full-time technician working in the space, I think it could be a real possibility.”

The studio offers top-of-the-line equipment to students and faculty, among them a 3-D printer, a laser cutter, an etching press and a spray booth, along with a work space dedicated to more traditional mediums like wood and metal.

“You can be working in the Makers’ Studio, like it’s 400 years ago, brushing oil paint onto canvas, and next to you there’s someone making a high-density urethane sculpture, and next to them another person is writing code for the 3-D printer,” Goody said. “The tools broaden the range of options, and from an artistic point of view, the more opportunities you have, the more creative you can be.”

“We haven’t really even begun to fulfill the range of possibilities. Right now, all we can do is see potential.”