Felder making mark in NBA Summer League

Kay+Felder+was+drafted+by+the+Atlanta+Hawks+on+NBA+Draft+Day+as+the+54th+overall+pick+then+later+traded+to+the+Cleveland+Cavaliers.+
Kay Felder was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks on NBA Draft Day as the 54th overall pick then later traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Nowshin Chowdhury

Nowshin Chowdhury

Sam Schlenner, Sports Editor

It didn’t take long for Kay Felder to shine.

Less than a month after being drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers at No. 54 overall, Oakland University’s former point guard started in six out of seven games in the Las Vegas Summer League, getting 15.3 points, 3.4 rebounds and 3.9 assists per.

Kyrie Irving and Mo Williams still stand before Felder on Cleveland’s lineup.

The 5-foot-9 Detroit native shot 42 percent from the field and 22.7 percent from behind the arc in the Summer League.

That last number tracks well behind his 35.5 percentage in his 2015-16 season with Oakland, and his assists-per-game were a little flat compared to his 9.3-per domination that same year.

But these are numbers for a man who’s been in the NBA for less than a month. And given he’s no longer a student-athlete, he can totally focus on his game.

If he does, the $2.4 million the Cavs paid for Atlanta’s 54th pick might seem like a steal.