Student making connections through involvement

Christina Venditti juggles many leadership roles and she does it with a smile.

Venditti, a junior, is currently double majoring in journalism and communications, but that’s just the beginning of her long list of participation on campus.

Most recently, she was chosen as one of five students to assist in the debate as a media floor volunteer. Although there was a volunteer mix-up, she still managed to find the positive of the situation.

“Even though it didn’t go as planned, it was cool to see everything from above and I got to see the whole thing as it was happening,” she said. “It was nice to see the media at work in their own environment at our university because that’s a pretty rare experience.”

Once the students arrived, they were told their initial job was given away to Cranbrook High School students. They were then given the job of directing foot traffic and guarding the track.

Venditti, while is among the large population of commuters, spends most of her time on campus.

She is a part of numerous clubs and organizations including the American Marketing Association, where she is director of public relations and communication and recently emceed a business fashion.

Venditti also is a staff member and fundraising director at WXOU radio. She hosts her own show called Christina’s Power Hour every Friday from 2-3 p.m., which features acoustic and pop music.

Venditti’s peers have noticed her ambitious work ethic and positive attitude.

“I have never once seen Christina complain or be apathetic,” WXOU Music Director Luke Phillips said. “She is always determined to get something done, do it well and be professional about it, and even under pressure (she) tries to keep her emotions in check.”

Venditti is also a member of the Oakland Vitality Dance Club.

“Since day one, she’s had a contagious attitude and is always prepared to work hard,”  Nicole Borden, a member of OUVD, said. “She’s a great asset to our team, high-spirited, a talented choreographer and a great friend.”

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Venditti goes 13 straight hours, starting at 8 a.m. She has class, meetings, class and ends her day with a three-hour dance practice.

“I really like to be busy — I feel like I get so much more out of my time if I have something to do every hour of everyday,” she said. “I consider myself a micro-scheduler, I will make sure I have something stretching to each minute of the day.”

Venditti hasn’t yet decided on her exact career path, but hopes that being deeply involved at school will help.

“I think if I can get a little taste of everything, I will lean more towards one or the other.”