Getting to know OU quarterback Brandon Tucker

The OU Football Club is now 3-1 readying to play their second home game this Saturday at 4 p.m. I sat down with quarterback Brandon Tucker on how he wound up at Oakland, and what the future holds for the Golden Grizzlies’ most dynamic player.

When did you start playing football?

Goes all the way back to sixth grade, for like our little prep team. We just started too, we didn’t have pads or nothing really … when I was in sixth grade we didn’t have 3rd-4th and 5th-6th grade teams, we only had seventh and up. So (in sixth grade) a parent got a team together and some old equipment and we played a few games against North Branch.

Tell me about the practice environment and the team environment.

I think it was July when we started (practicing). And we came out and that first practice there were more guys at that practice then there is on our team now. There’s some faces that we thought we going to be there and then they weren’t, they just quit, couldn’t afford it. It was really weird because we started with Coach Kenny Meyers. A whole different coaching staff … when they started doing the construction on the upper fields … ever since then, he stopped coming and stuff.

You practiced for like a month or two and then he just left?

Yeah. We practiced with him for like a month or two and he dipped out, and then we had like a month and a half before our first game and we didn’t have a coach yet. So it was kind of like the guys all came together at practice, we’re like “well what do you guys want to do? What should we do? What could we do?” Because a lot of people were losing faith … we didn’t have a coach. We had nobody at practice, it was just the guys.

Did you play any other sports in high school?

In high school and stuff and still now I play hockey and basketball.

I seen you were looking to play at Saginaw Valley State and Grand Valley State?

Yeah I was looking at Saginaw Valley. I was looking at Saginaw Valley, Grand Valley. And then I was (looking at) Hope College, some smaller Division III schools over there like Alma. I went and played over there in camp and stuff and 7-on-7 … it was too expensive. And then I realized if I would’ve went to SVSU I would’ve had to keep waiting and waiting and waiting (before I could even play).

So since you would’ve had to wait to play at SVSU you decided to come here?

Yeah it was just too much time so I just focused on my degree and then Nick Taylor, our running back (and team officer), he got a hold of me. We were kind of friends because our schools were rival schools. In high school he went to Deckerville, I went to Sandusky, so they were big time rivals. And then he knew that I was thinking of coming to Oakland. And I wasn’t going to come this year until after I finished and got my associate’s over in (Delta College). He talked to me about having the team and he’s like “you know, we just kind of got into talking about this club and having meetings and stuff and I think we’re going to have a team this year.” And then I was like oh, I need to come.

So you just transferred this year then?

Yeah, I’m a sophomore. But (credits-wise) I might be a junior after this semester.

How many credits are you taking?

20 this semester because I have 12 at OCC and eight at OU, because I have to have six to play football but the two classes I signed up for were four credits.

What are your hobbies?

I like to hunt and workout. I like going tubing and boating out on our family boat. I like being outdoors and spending time with my family. I like just shooting hoops and hanging out with friends … I haven’t got out to bow hunting yet this year though because of football and school, and work.

Do you ever see yourself trying out for a pro team?

Honestly, this spring I’m trying out for a semi-pro team. There’s the one in Port Huron (Port Huron Patriots) and then there’s one in Saginaw (Saginaw Sting). And out of high school I actually got an email from the Port Huron coach. I forget his name now, but I was supposed to go try out there in the spring and then I went to Delta and just played hockey, small DIII college hockey.

What’s your major?

Criminal justice … I really want to get in the FBI or CIA.

Did you always want to get into criminal justice when you were younger? If not, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Growing up, I’ve always thought about being a cop and going into the FBI, but it scared me. So growing up and until my first year of college, I wanted to be a dentist. Then the more I figured myself out and grew up, I realized I was not cut out to be a dentist and that criminal justice indeed was the perfect route for me and the type of person I am.

So where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? Do you aspire to just play semi-pro until you’re ready to look for a job with the FBI or CIA or what?

In 5-10 years I see myself excelling in my career in criminal justice and starting a family of my own. As for semi-pro football, I see that more as an opportunity to look at after I figure out where I stand with my career. To me, my career and succeeding in life comes first. Playing football comes second (and is) something I love but football, it will only take me so far. My career is the most important; it’s what I’ll do for the rest of my life. 

What made you fall in love with football? What do you appreciate about the game?

What made me fall in love with football is the brotherhood you share with your teammates. During football season you’re known as the “Boys of Fall” and it’s so true. So many people look up to you and support you, and the bond you share with your teammates is a bond that will last a lifetime. There’s no other feeling than the chills that run down your back as you step on the field, the chills you only get from a football game, a football atmosphere. 

What motivates you in football and in life in general?

What motivates me in football and life in general is there’s always someone better, always something more to keep working for. No matter how good I am at football or at my career when I’m older, there’s always something to keep working towards, and I want that something. I want to be the best at what I do and in order to do that, you have to be willing to do what others won’t, and that’s work hard and want to be successful every day.