Campus disc golf completion pushed back to Spring 2015

Hidden in the woods behind the upper fields, an on-campus gem lies dormant and incomplete. Chain baskets and tee pads lay on the ground, out of use, in the forested space where Hole 5 used to be.

Grizzly Oaks, Oakland’s 18-hole disc golf course, is located between the new outdoor athletic fields on Meadow Brook Drive and the grounds of the Meadow Brook Music Festival. The course remains under construction, despite previous reports that the course would reopen in the fall of 2014.

“The Disc Golf course remains officially closed during the construction of the Recreation and Athletic Outdoor Complex,” said Greg Jordan, director of the Department of Campus Recreation.

Developments to the Recreation and Athletic Outdoor Complex (RAO) superfields, formerly known as the upper fields, caused the initial closures to Grizzly Oaks back in 2013. Since then, five of the original 18 holes were lost to construction projects and are currently unavailable for play. The remaining 13 holes are still in place, though not maintained as if the course were operational.

Since the closure, OU students have been without an on-campus disc golf venue, unable to toss their plastic.

“The OU course was the first place I ever played disc golf. It got me hooked,” said senior Tim Pontzer. “It really is a shame that it isn’t available anymore.”

Senior and disc golfer Mike Pariseau also recalls playing the course before the construction.

“When it was open, it was an awesome course,” he said. “The course was challenging, and a great place to be on campus, especially for the housing community. It was just a short walk away for a good round.”

Nationally, disc golf has been growing steadily. According the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), the sports popularity has steadily increased since 2004 in the number of active PDGA members, disc golf courses, PDGA sanctioned events and PDGA tournament competitors. These numbers do not include casual, unreported players who are not affiliated with PDGA but still participate in the activity.

The Department of Campus Recreation still sees value in a re-vamped disc golf course. When the RAO superfields construction is completed, they will “evaluate the available space to relocate the 5 holes that were lost due to the project,” Jordan said.

“I believe we have the potential to incorporate the new holes in a challenging and fun way that will complement the existing 13 holes.”

If students wish to play a round of disc golf while Grizzly Oaks remains under construction, there are a few courses nearby. Firefighters Park in Troy, River Bends Park in Utica, Raintree Park in Troy and Stoney Creek Metro Park in Shelby Township are all open and within ten miles of campus.