Animal cruelty laws on the rise, experts say

In January 2019, U.S. representatives introduced the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act, which would allow federal authorities to prosecute animal abusers nationwide.

Though this legislation may seem like a win for animal advocates, the PACT Act only targets specific offenders under specific circumstances.

“The bill is primarily directed at those who participate in the production or distribution of animal crushing videos utilizing interstate commerce or transportation of such videos from abroad into the U.S.,” wrote Dave Kim, a contributor to the Michigan Humane Society’s blog.

Crushing is the act of stomping on small animals, explained Kim, and someone would not only have to profit from the act of animal crushing, but also have to cross state lines before they could be prosecuted under the PACT Act.

Ann Griffin, attorney and director of advocacy at the Michigan Humane Society (MHS), said the PACT Act “does not preempt or interfere with state or local laws, and tremendous deference is given to state and local authorities regarding animal-related legislation.”

Therefore, all the PACT Act does is suggest that animal cruelty is OK, as long as you’re not making a profit off it.

In Michigan, it is illegal to abuse, abandon, neglect, threaten to harm or kill a pet as a form of leverage, or organize animal fighting. If one participates in any of the above, he/she will be charged with a felony and be faced with jail time and/or fines.

“When it comes to Michigan’s anticruelty statutes, the laws themselves are very strong,” Griffin said. “But laws don’t matter if effective enforcement isn’t available… Crimes against animals have to be recognized… by all levels of law enforcement, from the first responders, to the prosecutor, to the judge.”

Michigan legislators have been proactive in making consequences for animal cruelty more severe. For example, in 2018, two House Bills were passed that prohibit animal neglect and cruelty from breeders and pet shop operators, enhance the penalties for such crimes, and characterize abuse into first, second and third degrees based on severity.

Despite this legislation, Griffin suggested that there is still room for improvement.

“Legally, animals are considered property, and this is also reflected in our sentencing guidelines, which means that the toughest sentences available under the anticruelty statutes are rarely — if ever — able to be applied,” she said.

Another pitfall with animal cruelty laws is that they still don’t apply to using animals in scientific research. Furthermore, though California, New Jersey, New York and Virginia all banned cosmetic testing on animals, scientific testing is still permitted.

This issue hit home this past April, when an investigation executed by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), a separate organization from MHS, led to the rescue of 36 beagles from a lab at DowDuPont (more commonly known as Dow Chemical) in Mattawan, Michigan, where they were used as test animals.

Shortly after the investigation by the HSUS was made public, Dow released a statement saying, “Animal testing is not something Dow undertakes lightly, but neither is it something the Company can discontinue when it is required by regulatory authorities.”

After the beagles were rescued, the MHS agreed to accept the beagles from HSUS, evaluated, cared for and placed them in new homes.

Situations similar to the Dow Chemical animal testings have led the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to announce its commitment to move away from animal testing.

In a recent press release, EPA spokesperson Andrew Wheeler, stated EPA’s intentions to eliminate all mammalian study by 2035.

“We can protect human health and the environment by using cutting-edge, ethically sound science in our decision-making that efficiently and cost-effectively evaluates potential effects without animal testing,” Wheeler said.

Out of the nearly 300 student organizations on Oakland University’s campus, none are dedicated to animals, their welfare or their rights. However, the absence of such a club does not represent a lack of concern for animal welfare in the student body.

“Animals, particularly those whose trust is placed in our human hands, should always be properly cared for and protected,” said President of College Democrats at Oakland University Chase Lindenthal.

Intolerance for animal abuse is something that both political parties on OU’s campus possess.

“Animal welfare is a bipartisan issue,” said President of College Republicans at Oakland University Rachael Baker.

Voting in local, state and federal elections, contacting elected officials, using your money to support shelters and humane brands, researching and sharing information on social media, and volunteering at local shelters are all ways Griffin encourages students to make a difference when it comes to the welfare of animals.

“Students should know that their voices matter,” Griffin said.