‘Queer Eye’ star Antoni Porowski to replace Karamo Brown as homecoming guest speaker

Courtesy of Keppler Speakers.

Reality television star and author Karamo Brown has canceled his upcoming appearance at Oakland University on Oct. 9, and will be replaced by his “Queer Eye” co-star Antoni Porowski.

Brown was forced to cancel his sold-out show on campus to accommodate his commitment to “Dancing with the Stars.” He is currently competing on the show with professional dancer Jenna Johnson.

“I was supposed to be spending some time with you all in a couple weeks, but because of my schedule, I’m not able to come,” Brown said in a video released Tuesday, Oct. 1. “I just wanted to send you all a message to say thank you for inviting me. Hopefully I can come out there very soon, but I’m wishing you all the best of luck, sending you so much love, and thank you for thinking of me. I’m thinking of you all and I’m sorry I can’t make it.”

Brown, who currently stars as the culture expert on the Netflix reboot of “Queer Eye,” will be replaced by the show’s food and wine connoisseur, Porowski. His lecture will take place at the same time Brown’s was supposed to, on Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. All tickets previously held for Brown’s lecture will be honored for this event. The Student Life Lecture Board, who is co-sponsoring the event with the Oakland University Credit Union and the Gender and Sexuality Center, has requested that students who no longer want their tickets return them to the Office for Student Involvement ticket window for students on the event waitlist.

Porowski’s appearance marks the first of two celebrity appearances on campus in honor of homecoming week. Comedian Chris D’Elia will be performing a stand-up routine to a sold-out crowd on Friday, Oct. 11.

Porowski is part owner of a Manhattan eatery and released his first cookbook, “Antoni in the Kitchen,” last month. He is expected to do a book signing after his lecture.

As a member of “Queer Eye’s” main cast — collectively known as the “Fab Five” — Porowski was listed among Entertainment Weekly’s Entertainers of the Year in 2018. That same year, he was also a finalist for People’s Choice Reality TV Star and won Eater’s 2018 #Brand of the Year.

For more information, please contact the Office for Student Involvement or Student Life Lecture Board.