SPB announces Nick Jonas as spring concert headliner

After a two-year absence of the Student Program Board’s beloved concert, the group is bringing the event back with a performance from pop music star Nick Jonas on April 14 at the Meadow Brook Amphitheater. This year, the event is also cosponsored by the Student Activities Funding Board.

The New Jersey native, formerly of The Jonas Brothers, began a solo career in 2010. Jonas has since released three studio albums, appeared in movies such as “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” on Broadway in “Les Miserables” and on television shows such as “Kingdom.”

According to SPB President Chris Winter, SPB wanted this comeback concert to be something special. So, Jonas was an obvious choice with his musical lineup of nostalgic Jonas Brothers hits to his newer music that has made him the success he currently is.

“It’s the first year back and it needs to be big,” Winter said. “It’s kind of great because Nick Jonas is a throwback name but he’s still very relevant now. So we got both sides of it this time.”

In the 2015 winter semester, an SPB concert featuring Andy Grammer flopped in ticket sales and was subsequently cancelled. SPB refunded all tickets sold and lost a lot of money from the cancelled event. Winter and Cassandra Hock, the 2016-17 SPB president, saved money for the past two academic years to make sure the concert can happen again.

An opening act is still in the process of signing a contract. This act will join Jonas and the winner of Spring Fest’s Battle of the Bands, which will include at least one Oakland University student.

Tickets go on sale at the Center for Student Activities’ service window in the Oakland Center on March 8 at 1 p.m. for Oakland students. Tickets for the general public will go on sale at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, March 13. Ticket prices range from $10-$30 with an OU ID present for each ticket purchased.