The Golden Grizzly 24-hour filmmaking challenge

Taylor Stinson

Teams of four or less will work to create their film and submit before the 24 hours are up.

For the fourth consecutive year, the Department of Cinema Studies, in collaboration with the Alumni Engagement Committee, organized the 24-hour filmmaking challenge to get more students involved in the activities of homecoming weekend.

The filmmaking challenge begins Saturday, Oct. 14 at 10 a.m. and ends the following day, Sunday, Oct. 15 at 10 a.m. During that time frame, participants will come to the studio at 112 Varner Hall, sign in and receive the specific instructions and requirements for the videos they will be creating. They will brainstorm, create scripts and choose a theme for their video. Then, they’ll get to shoot and edit their video.

Participants will have the opportunity to spend the night editing videos at the editing lab in 228 Varner Hall.

The requirements and instructions provided at the beginning of the challenge include specific locations of Oakland University’s campus and certain dialogue lines and chosen props participants will have to include in the videos. Equipment is also provided at the beginning of the challenge. Less experienced participants will receive helpful tutorials as well as iPads with filmmaking kits.

Experience in filmmaking is not required and participants are encouraged to compete in teams of as many as four people.

“We always encourage students regardless of their skill level to consider participating,” said Kyle Edwards, associate professor of cinema studies. “It’s obviously a great way to be creative [and] a really good way to meet other people.”

According to Adam Gould, cinema studies coordinator, the filmmaking challenge simulates the intensity, excitement and chaos of a real life film shoot.

“It’s a lot of fun, it’s kind of crazy [and] people usually have a good time,” he said.

Dustin Cehaich, a student studying cinema and theater, said the filmmaking challenge was the first thing he did as far as acting and being a part of something in college.

“For someone who has no experience, I think it’s one of the best introductions to the idea of making films,” Cecaich said. “Most of us are not doing the competition to win. We just want to get together with friends and make something.”

The videos can be any genre, must be PG-13 at the most, around three minutes and must include all requirements previously mentioned.

After participants submit their videos on Sunday, the videos go through a judication process for award determination.

The awards include best film, audience award, best acting as an individual or team, best editing, best cinematography, school spirit award, most creative use of required props, dialogue and campus environment.

On Sunday at 4 p.m., participants and interested individuals can come see the screening of the videos at 156 North Foundation Hall. Snacks and refreshments will be provided.

“Pre-register as an individual or with a team,” the event’s flier reads. “All OU students, alums, faculty and staff are eligible to participate; non-OU participants may also join teams with at least two OU-affiliated members.”

To register for the 24-hour filmmaking challenge, contact Edwards at [email protected].