College at the library

Discovery and Coffee is a lecture series held every month at the Rochester Hills Public Library featuring OU professors sharing their expertise. The events are free, but attendees must register in advance with their library card.
Abigail Zmikly

The Rochester Hills Public Library (RHPL) has partnered with Oakland University to begin a new monthly Saturday morning lecture series called Discovery and Coffee.

Each session will feature an OU professor presenting on a topic of their expertise. Afterward, attendees can take part in discussion over coffee.

The series kicks off Sept. 17 with Dr. Jonathon Silberman, professor of economics and director of the Southeastern Michigan Economic Data Center. His talk will be held from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. in the library’s multipurpose room.

Titled “Economic Update for Southeastern Michigan,” Silberman’s discussion will cover the current economic status of the area, as well as what the future may hold.

“We are excited to initiate this partnership with the Rochester Hills Public Library and introduce our professors and their expertise to the community at large. Patrons will get to ask questions and engage in discussions with some of the most well respected professors we have to offer,” said OU Director of Media Relations Brian Bierley in a press release.

The next event will Oct. 22 from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m., featuring Professor David A. Dulio, chair of the Political Science Department. He plans to explore the current presidential election, covering topics such as the weight an individual vote carries, who “electors” are and why Election Day isn’t the most important date of the campaign.

There will also be a lecture called “Why People Lie” on Nov. 5 from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. Professor Kim Serota, who has taught in the Department of Management and Marketing since 2004, will focus on the psychology behind lying, specifically in regard to marketing and political deception.

There are hopes to continue the series in the winter.

The idea for the program was developed over the summer, as the RHPL wanted to give its patrons a way to learn all the new things being discussed in college classrooms but in a more casual environment, said Amanda Harrison, the RHPL’s community relations specialist.

“With stimulating lectures and a dynamic group of respected professors, Discovery and Coffee represents an exciting opportunity for personalized learning to make knowledge available to ever-increasing numbers of people, the goal of the Rochester Hills Public Library,” she said in a press release.

It will be especially beneficial to students.

“Attending the programs gives Oakland University students an opportunity to connect with their local community, get to know professors on a more personal level and expose themselves to new subject matters while being a part of a larger conversation,” Harrison said.

The library plans to work closely with OU to choose engaging professors who will speak on various interesting subjects.

The events are free, but attendees must register in advance with their library card.

Library cards are free to people who work, live or own property in Rochester, Rochester Hills or Oakland Township. Students who live on-campus at OU also qualify. One just needs to show a proof of residency or employment, according to the RHPL website.

For more information on other upcoming events, visit www.rhpl.org/.