I Commute From … — Southfield

By JANICE WILLIAMS

Staff reporter

It’s a place where if you’ve never been there, you’ve at least heard about it.  A respected suburban community, Southfield, MI is home to many people, including some Oakland University students.  One of which is Danielle Crawford, a biology student, who commutes from her apartment in Southfield to OU every day.   Danielle said she moved out her mother’s house to Southfield because she was looking for more space and she wanted to live somewhere that was surrounded by almost any and everything.

Southfield really is “The Center of It All,” which just so happens to be the city motto. There are many attractions that reel in many people.  From restaurants, to malls, to every kind of doctor’s office, Southfield has it all.  There’s usually some type of shopping center  about  every mile, the most well known being Tel Twelve Mall .  And there’s a wide variety in food venues to accommodate whatever taste you’re looking for.   There’s a Friday’s, Outback Steakhouse, Pi Restaurant, Copper Canyon and  IHOP, just to name a few.  Once you hit the city line, they’re all easy to find and it doesn’t take long to get there. There’s a Star Theatre  up  the street from the shopping center, which makes Southfield an even better place to hang out..  And don’t worry, if there’s ever a reason you need overnight accommodations, there are tons of hotels to choose from, like the Westin, Marriot and Marriot Courtyards … the list goes on and on.

Southfield has been deemed  a “family city.”  Many people (even non-residents) use the city for educational services because of the good schools.  Now, this is no small-town type city, it’s big enough to be home to two, well-known high schools in the Metro-Detroit area, Southfield Lathrup High School and Southfield High School. The Southfield Library is another attraction that helped in Danielle, as well as many other residents, decide to move to Southfield.  “It’s one of the biggest Librarys in the state, it’s three floors,” she told me.  Of course, when one is a college student, especially biology major, the library can be a very resourceful asset.

Southfield is definitely a place I wouldn’t mind being stranded for a few hours.