Sporting Blitz: student road trip, 2010 Hall of Honor & hockey update

A rundown of some upcoming events in Oakland University sports.

Student road trip

The third annual IPFW road trip takes place Saturday, Dec. 5 as Oakland University students are invited to travel with the Grizz Gang to Fort Wayne, Ind. to cheer on the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

To sign up for the trip, students must be one of the first 300 people to redeem a ticket on Thursday in the Oakland Center from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. You must have a previously issued trip voucher and a student ID card to be eligible.

Students who participate in the road trip will receive free transportation and tickets to the games, along with food for the all-day trip.

2010 Hall of Honor

The Oakland University Athletics Department announced the class of 2010 inductees to the Hollie L. Lepley Athletic Hall of Honor last week. The ceremony will take place Feb. 5, honoring these seven people:

• Morgan Bailey (men’s swimming, 1994-97)

• James Collins (men’s swimming, 1994-97)

• Mike Dobb (men’s soccer, 1996-99)

• Paul Doroh (men’s soccer, 1993-96)

• Holly Hatcher Conley (1987-90)

• Sarah Judd (women’s basketball 1998-2002)

• Gary Parsons (head coach, men’s soccer, 1981-2008)

Hockey team update

The club hockey team announced recently that it would be one of six Michigan universities to join the Great Lakes Collegiate Hockey League, beginning next season.

The league is a newly formed conference in the American Collegiate Hockey Association. Along with Oakland, the conference will include Division I schools Adrian College, Eastern Michigan, Davenport University, the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and Western Michigan.

All of the teams will play four games against each other, for a total of 20 in-conference contests.