Students help Haiti

Performers set the stage for over $3,000 in student donations for Haiti at the 12-hour benefit held Jan. 20, hosted by WXOU. Photo by Jason Willis

Much of the international community united to help Haitians after the earthquake in Haiti two weeks ago, and Oakland University was no exception.

The biggest fundraiser was the Haiti-Palooza 12-hour live concert held in Pioneer Food Court in the Oakland Center, hosted by the student radio station WXOU.

OU’s President Gary Russi said that the president’s office will match the students donations with $3,400.

OU spokesperson Ted Montgomery said $1,700 will be given each to American Red Cross Southeastern Michigan chapter and to Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Divisional Headquarters.

“I was heartened to see Oakland students and the entire campus community respond so quickly and so generously to the relief efforts in Haiti,” Russi said. “I think it says a great deal about the quality of people we have here, and I commend all who stepped forward to organize and contribute to this worthy cause.”

Jean Ann Miller, Center for Student Activities director, said the funds raised at the general donations table totaled $6900. Miller donated to round up the total.

Different jugs represented the Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Doctors Without Borders, and Partners in Health.

The Oakland Post raised $353.26, which will be split among the four agencies as well.

SIFE garnered $387.66 for Partners in Health by selling posters.

Food service provider Chartwells collected $578, while another $135.64 came from an undesignated source.

Rodrina Moore, an apartment community assistant, said the assistants collected 1,143 returnables from people living in University Student Apartments and Matthews Court Apartments on Monday, which amounts to $114.30 to be donated to Compassion International.

Some efforts are just starting up.

Komal Patel said members of the student organization American Political Enlightenment will hold a clothing drive this Monday through Wednesday, likely in the Fireside Lounge

Saman Waquad, OU Student Congress vice president, said OUSC is trying to hold a collection at its tailgate tent during homecoming, in the parking lot across from the O’Rena.

For more photos click here for The Post’s Flickr page.