Senate bill aims to put leash on watchdogs

We figured that one does not need to read an editorial to know our thoughts on the inconveniences of campus construction and or other Michigan road repair projects.

So instead, we decided to focus on something we might be able to do something about. 

A Michigan legislator is proposing that all journalists should be registered by the government so that news consumers will know which sources are credible. 

As a media publication – defined by the bill as “any electronic or written medium including, but not limited to, newspapers, television, radio, and internet” – The Oakland Post opposes the legislative measure because it would discredit the profession of journalism.

Michigan Senate Bill 1323 seeks to create “The Board of Michigan Registered Reporters,” not unlike governing boards for other industries that require registration such as accountancy, cosmetology, forestry and mortuary science. 

While there is nothing wrong with wanting competent service from a licensed professional, the bill runs into some problems when it defines what needs to be done in order to become a reporter.

In addition to paying a $10 registration fee, one must: “be of good moral character” and prove it by signing a statement acknowledging industry-wide ethics “acceptable to the board,” possess a degree in journalism or its equivalent, have more than three years of experience as a reporter, three writing samples and “awards or recognition that related to being a reporter.”

The measure is currently referred to the committee on economic development and regulatory reform.

While the legislation being proposed deems that reporters would voluntarily apply for recognition as a registered reporter, a larger issue with the blatant violation of the free speech and free press clauses of the First Amendment lies down the road.

Because “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press,” the government allowing only registered reporters to practice journalism does not make sense due to the fact that such licenses come at the whim of the aforementioned government. 

Who gets to determine what is “good moral character?”

Senator Bruce Patterson implies that reporters who do not meet the above criteria cannot be accurate and reliable in reporting. 

What would happen to student publications like this very newspaper? 

These voices have all of the necessary knowledge and tools to be reporters, but do not yet have an undergraduate degree and may not have the subjective “good moral character.”

Though some citizen journalists and bloggers may have ridiculously alternative views, alternative perspectives sometimes contribute to the discussion.

The problem of fulfilling the requirements for registration occurs for new journalists. 

How could someone who is not a registered reporter, someone who is not a legitimate journalist in the government’s eyes, possibly garner the awards and experience necessary?

Will there be an absurd learner’s permit system that allows novice journalists to report? 

As a staffer points out: the registration policy is akin to requiring a person to have an established voting record before the age of 18.

Patterson, whose bill has no cosponsors, wants to lessen the dissemination of misinformation, but he stifles the truth in his quest to promote it. 

What’s to say that the voluntary measure won’t turn into a mandatory Michigan law and extend as far as seeking official licensure for reporters?

As Patterson said, First Amendment rights come with “correlative and corresponding duties.” 

The industry already knows that it is its duty to seek and report the truth.

As reporters serve as the watchdogs of democracy, the right to print a story should not be determined by the very government that is being reported on.