Candlelight vigil to be held tonight at Oakland University in memory of Corey Jackson

Members of the campus community are mourning the loss of Oakland University student Corey Jackson, 19.

The OUPD began investigating the death of a residential student Tuesday, which occurred on campus.

“All indications point to the fact that the student chose to take his own life,” OUPD Chief Sam Lucido said.

Students, staff and faculty were notified via e-mail around 7 p.m. Tuesday. In addition, University Housing staffers were given instructions on how to handle the crisis.

An Oakland County medical investigator confirmed this report Tuesday night.

Center for Student Activities Director Jean Ann Miller said crisis hotline numbers and other resources are available for students.  Students can call the suicide hotline at 1-800-784-2433. Additional information can be found here.

“OUPD is continuing to do a thorough investigation to review all circumstances that may be involved with this incident,” Lucido said.

Students have organized a candlelight vigil in memory of the student scheduled for 10 p.m. Wednesday by the Bear Lake bridge outside Vanderberg and Wilson hall.

Jackson was a sophomore and a member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

University officials will provide additional information as it becomes available and The Post will continue to report findings.

To view photos of Wednesday’s candlelight vigil, The Oakland Post has posted them here.