Grizzlies fall in season opening basketball games

Redshirt freshman Travis Bader scored 15 points for OU in his first collegiate game.

Benson scores 22 points, but Grizzlies men’s team falls

Head coach Greg Kampe and the Golden Grizzlies knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they scheduled a visit to Morgantown, W. Va., to open the season against the Mountaineers. The plan was for Oakland University to allow its weaknesses to be exposed from the get-go in order to expedite the process of improving.

Friday night’s 95-71 loss to West Virginia, a Final Four team a year ago, saw the Grizzlies enter halftime with a 24-point deficit, but the two sides scored evenly in the second half as Oakland’s defense made adjustments.

With five NBA scouts reportedly in attendance, OU center Keith Benson scored 22 points, while collecting 15 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. His performance in the second half, which included 16 of his points, likely affirmed his status as a legitimate first round potential prospect.

After playing to a 14-14 tie, the Mountaineers began to pull away by sinking several 3-pointers in succession, shooting 9-for-14 from beyond the arc in the first half.

Redshirt freshman Travis Bader, playing in his first collegiate game, ignited Oakland’s offense with most of his 15 points coming in the first half.

Oakland’s defensive improvement in the second half allowed the Grizzlies to cut WVU’s lead down to 15 points on multiple occasions, before OU got into serious foul trouble.

Three guards — Ledrick Eackles, Larry Wright and Reggie Hamilton — fouled out of the game, which gave Bader and freshman Ryan Bass extended minutes down the stretch.

Bader and sophomore Drew Valentine were inserted into the starting lineup Friday night as Kampe opted to discipline Eackles and Hamilton by not starting them after they missed the team bus earlier in the day.

Senior Will Hudson just missed a double-double, finishing with 16 points and nine boards.

The Grizzlies will travel to face Ohio University, the reigning Mid-American Conference champion, for its next game on Monday night.

Click to view the box score.

Women’s team comes up short against Detroit Mercy

Despite a game-high 17 points from sophomore forward Bethany Watterworth, the Grizzlies women’s team lost, 58-53, to in-state rival Detroit Mercy for the second time in as many seasons.

OU held a six-point lead in the first half, but lost control of the game when its shooting went cold, much like it did against Western Illinois in last season’s defeat in the Summit League Tournament. The team shot below 33 percent for the game.

Junior guard Sharise Calhoun finished with 14 points and nine rebounds in the losing effort.

In her first regular season action since missing all of last year with a torn ACL, Grizzlies center Brittany Carnago played just 17 minutes as head coach Beckie Francis eased her back into game action. She recorded seven points on 3-of-8 shooting and grabbed five rebounds. Her single block on the night moved her into fifth place on OU’s all-time list.

Five Grizzlies made their debuts in the Black and Gold against UDM.

Up next for Oakland is another road matchup against the University of Illinois-Chicago Monday evening. The team will open its home schedule Thursday against Big Ten foe Penn State.

View the box score here.