GrizzlyPalooza rocks the stage

The Student Program Board has been known for bringing large scale talent to the campus of Oakland University.

On Sept. 9, the Student Program Board invited Dusty McFly, Big Krit, G-Eazy, Wale, and Big Sean to the stage of Meadow Brook Music Theatre on campus for Welcome Week.

The Center for Student Activities reported that 2,893 student tickets were sold with a few hundred going to radio stations and even selling out on the Ticketmaster website.

Even though the weather forecast predicted rain, it didn’t stop students and fans from filling the ground from the lawn to the stage.

Many students enjoyed the concert’s line-up, which brought up and coming artists on the same bill as established acts.

Dusty McFly started off the night on a high note, but had a relatively short set list.

Curen$y was scheduled to be the next artist to take the stage, but the Mississippi born Big Krit stepped in at the last minute to take his place.

“The ‘down’ that we faced with this concert was that last minute we had to replace an artist due to a health reason,” president of SPB, Katherine Rozek, senior communications major, said. “But we couldn’t be happier with the turnout.”

Next was the less known, G-Eazy, who traveled from Oakland, Calif. to perform for Oakland students and fans.

G-Eazy’s performance involved constant interaction with the crowd, including crowd surfing, throwing water, and the bringing of two students on stage, including Nichole Locke, a freshman majoring in psychology.

“Being on stage was an experience of a lifetime,” Locke said.

While G-Eazy may have been the smaller name on a bill with much more popular artists, but attendees believed he brought one of most exciting performances of the night.

“The concert was amazing.” Marta Kuczynski, freshman communications major said. “I think the biggest surprise was how good G-Eazy was.”

Wale also connected with the fans when he walked through the entire left side of the audience with only a spotlight following him.

When Wale rapped “No Hands,” it set the crowd into a roar. Everyone was on their feet with their hands held high.

“The biggest ‘up’ of the concert is always to be able to look out into the crowd and see people having a good time, especially when it is a full house,” Rozek said.

The other main attraction of the night for many was Big Sean, a rapper signed to Kanye West’s label, G.O.O.D Music, and Detroit native.

“Of course Wale and Big Sean killed it and it all ended on a perfect note,” Kuczynski said.

Although Wale’s set was delayed due to the overwhelming amount of people in the isle ways under the pavilion, as well as some conflict due to set times, Rozek believes the entire concert was a success.

“I can’t even find the words to describe how happy I am with the turnout of this show,” Rozek said. “Everyone from SPB has all been working so hard to make this concert a success and I believe it was more than that.”

The overall energy and positive feedback from those involved and those who attended the concert, set the bar high for the next performance.