Students relive history

Oakland University’s theatre department will be performing “The Women of Lockerbie,” based on true events, written by Deborah Brevoort.

Directed by theatre professor, Karen Sheridan, the performance runs from Nov. 10 through 20 at the Varner Studio Theatre.

The performance is a straight play about the Lockerbie bombing, a terrorist attack, in 1988.  The women of Lockerbie are led by Olive Allison,  played by Alexandra McCaw, a senior majoring in musical theatre, plan to help by creating a Laundry Project.

This project takes clothes from victims and washes them to send to families of the victim.

“Olive makes a big journey in the show and we see a lot of different sides to her,” McCaw said.

On the seventh anniversary of the attack on Lockerbie, a couple from America come to visit the place were their son died.

Bill Livingston, played by Nick Gnagi, a sophomore majoring in acting, comes to terms with his son’s death and helps his wife overcome their loss.

“It’s a challenge to play someone that is thirty some years older than I am,” Gnagi said. “I’ve never had a lead role before. It’s a challenge and is has made me improve a lot.”

Gnagi is the youngest cast member among mostly juniors and seniors.

Along with the production, students are having  three special events that tie into play.

Following the theme of the play, the cast is spearheading ‘Clothing from Lockerbie,’ a winter clothing drive. Donations will be accepted in the bin in front of the Studio Theatre until Nov. 20.

The proceeds go towards Grace Centers of Hope.

On Nov. 18, the performance will be shadow-signed by Terptheatre. They have been working with Oakland University for thirteen years.

A third special event will be held on Nov. 19 at noon. Deborah Brevoort will come in to talk about her writing process of the play and also have a question and answer session with students and the audience.  This event is free and takes place at Varner Studio Theatre.

Tickets are on sale now for “The Women of Lockerbie” at the Varner box office, online at startickets.com or can be purchased at the door.