Work, play keep students at OU on break

The Oakland Center was dark, empty and locked, and although the lights were on, Kresge Library was closed.

The university operator wasn’t even there to say, “Oakland University, how may I help you?”

In fact, the entire campus was shut down by Dec. 23.

“I don’t think OU could be any quieter than it is today,” Allison Webster, a student life advisor, tweeted on Dec. 22.

“Yeah, just wait until tomorrow when EVERYBODY is gone,” @oaklandu, an account representing OU, responded.

In reality, many students stayed on campus during their break.

Freshman students Mario Rusnak, Colbie Han and Dyllon Dossey are all members of OU’s men’s swim team, and didn’t have the choice between staying and going home.

All three were involved in an intense, two-week training camp over break in attempt to improve the teams overall standing in the Michigan US Open, which takes place in early February.

Han and Rusnak said that the team held two practices on a daily basis: a morning session from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and a late afternoon session from 3 to 5 p.m., with alternating core and weight workouts in between.

The guys spent most of their spare time grocery shopping, resting and watching movies in their room. Each of them was allotted a certain sum of money per the university for essentials.

However, life at OU during break did have its downfalls. Internet connection and hot water were not immediately turned on per their return, which meant no Facebook, and more importantly, no hot showers, they complained.

The three did return home for Christmas, and then stayed in Hamlin Hall until the beginning of the semester.

Apartment roommates, senior History major Chris Gilbert and sophomore communication major Doug Bonman, made the decision to stay on campus on their own.

Gilbert, the director of a box lacrosse organization at Rochester Hills Skating and Sports Arena, manages his job out of their apartment. The work requires him to use expensive equipment, which is difficult for him to transport home.

Right now he is busy preparing for the next season of box lacrosse, which is scheduled to begin later this month.

On the other hand, Bonman works 40-50 hours a week at a catering company, delivering food to Detroit Metro Airport for consumption aboard the planes. He said OU is a closer commute for him than driving from home.

Gilbert and Bonman also returned home for the holiday, but returned afterwards to work and to resume their break.

“I never had the option to leave before,” Gilbert said. “I don’t have to go home. I can just say, ‘see you guys — talk to you later.’”

Juinor biology major Caitlyn West felt the same way about staying on campus.

She lived in her campus apartment until Dec. 23, only leaving for one week to see her family up north, and her boyfriend, a Marine, in Buffalo for New Year’s Eve.

“It’s nice to go home over break and see (my family), but it’s nice to have a place to come back to,” she said.

Winter classes resumed on Jan. 3 and the signs reading, “Occupied: Entire Break” finally came down off of Rusnak’s, Han’s and Dossey’s dorm room door.

Contact staff intern Jessica McLean at [email protected]