The adventure continues

Grieving the death of his friend John Hitz, Michael Morris, sophomore communication major, co-founded Forever Adventure along with Sarah Brockett (Hitz’s girlfriend) in January 2011.

One year later, the nonprofit focused on providing and aiding young adults in their pursuits of the arts, has survived and is thriving, Morris said.

“Most nonprofits fail in their first year and we have done nothing but flourish,” he said.

The organization has hosted four benefits, sold T-shirts and wristbands, and has gathered an army of supporters, many of whom from East Detroit High School in Eastpointe, where Hitz attended.

The organization hosted its most recent benefit this past December at Café 220, a venue associated with the Christ Community Church in Roseville.

For a $10 cover charge, participants were able to see performances by local bands, including Passage To India, American Opera, Marty Fletzsar, and Morris’ own band, Shapes and Colors. The event also included an ugly sweater contest and sample sweets from a bake sale.

During this event, Forever Adventure gave away another Adventure Pack — a backpack equipped with whatever the recipient may need to succeed in their artistic adventures.

Dave Edwards, guitarist of Passage To India, said his band frequently plays these events because of the great cause they promote.

“We make a big deal out of those shows, probably more-so than normal,” he said. “(Forever Adventure) made me see what a good person like Mike can (accomplish).”

Aside from funding future events and their donations, proceeds go towards the John Hitz scholarship, which will be awarded to a chosen student from East Detroit High School later this year.

According to an article in the Macomb-Patch, last year Forever Adventure awarded the $1,500 scholarship to David Meldrum, a visual artist pursuing a career in graphic arts.

Morris says he is currently working on expanding the scholarship’s eligibility to other schools. However, to do so, the organization must be nationally recognized as a nonprofit.

Forever Adventure is still awaiting federal acknowledgement.

In fact, Morris still runs the nonprofit out of his home in St. Claire Shores.

Yet Morris remains hopeful.

“I have two people I have to adventure for,” he said, speaking of himself and Hitz. “I feel like it’s so sad that John’s gone, but it feels good to make a difference in people’s lives.”

Besides that, Morris hopes to keep the organization going as long as possible.

Planning on continued growth in the coming year, he hopes to get young artists involved with professionals, as well as working with the Vans Warped Tour, which adopted Forever Adventures cause at their concerts in summer 2011, as well as continuing to host similar events.

The success and opportunities continue to grow for Morris and those involved.

“No matter what happens, it’s part of the adventure,” Hitz is quoted as saying in a tribute video on the Forever Adventure website.

Contact Staff Intern Jessica McLean via e-mail at [email protected]