OU basketball loses 4 student-athletes

In the past week, four student-athletes have announced their departure from the Oakland University basketball program.

On the men’s squad, redshirt freshman center Kyle Sikora is leaving after a solid first season for the Golden Grizzlies.

For the women’s team, sophomore guard Malika Glover, redshirt freshman forward Jenna Bachrouche and freshman guard Lauren Robak will not be sporting the black and gold next season.

Missing in the paint

Sikora saw the floor in all 33 games this season, including starting 16 straight to close out the year. The 7-foot center led the team with 23 blocks, a mark that was 12th best in the Summit League.

He contributed 61 rebounds and 51 points to the OU cause this year, but decided he wanted to be closer to his home town.

“I would like to thank (OU) and their coaching staff for the opportunities they have given me to develop as a player,”  Sikora said. “I only hope the best for them in the future.”

Lady Grizzlies loss

Sikora, a native of Key Largo, Fla., was recruited by colleges such as Florida Tech and Eckerd College in his home state, and was offered a chance to walk on at Florida State, but ultimately decided to come north to Oakland.

Glover averaged 3.6 points a game this season to go along with 1.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists. She started 11 games for the Grizzlies and saw the floor in every game this season. She had a season-high 10 points against UMKC in the Summit League tournament on March  4.

During her freshman season, Glover averaged 5.8 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game for the season and saw action in every game as well. She put up a career high 16 points and seven rebounds against IUPUI on Jan. 10, 2011.

Bachrouche played in 22 games off the bench this season, averaging 1.3 points and one rebound per game. Against Western Illinois on Feb. 4, Bachrouche scored 14 points and five rebounds, both career highs.

During the 2010-11 campaign, Bachrouche played in four games before suffering a season-ending injury leading her to take a medical redshirt for the remainder of the year.

In high school, Bachrouche was a two-time captain at North Farmington and was named an all-metro honoree on The Oakland Press Dream Team.

Robak sat out this season with a redshirt. She starred at Our Lady of the Lakes High for all four years of her high school career and led them to back-to-back Class D state titles.

Robak was ranked No. 1 in The Oakland Press Top 50 players list was a unanimous first team pick AP All-State player her senior year.

“Malika, Jenna and Lauren have each made the decision to pursue other opportunities,” said Francis. “They are all good people and we wish them the best of luck.”

Their absence, along with assistant coach Katie Trolla stepping down and seniors Sharise Calhoun and Brittany Carnago graduating, will give Oakland a much different look next season.

Contact Timothy Pontzer via email at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @timothy_pontzer