Women’s basketball defeats American University, 70-60

The Oakland University’s women’s basketball team defeated American University 70-60 at the Athletics Center O’rena Monday with freshmen players dominating the night.

Freshman forward Olivia Nash scored 14 points and grabbed 15 rebounds. Freshman guard Annemarie Hamlet also scored 20 points.

Junior guard Victoria Lipscomb played a total of 40 minutes, scoring 11 points. American freshman guard Jen Dumiak recorded 20 points and sophomore guard Geleisa George scored 11 points.

“It’s nice to be 2-0,” head coach Beckie Francis said. “We’ve just been practicing really well. The team is working hard and they’re very coachable and I’m really proud of them.”

Oakland got off to an early 10-2 lead over American in the first half. Nash was responsible for 7 of those points but two early personal fouls limited her playing time.

“It gave her some rest,” Francis said. “We could have gone back with her. I really thought our bench did a nice job of holding the fort and not losing the lead so we could come back with a fresh Olivia in the second half.”

Oakland extended their first half lead to 21-12. American answered with an 11-2 run to tie the game at 23 points apiece. After American sophomore guard Alexis Dobbs hit her second free throw, American took the lead by one. Sophomore guard Amy Carlton answered with a three-pointer to put Oakland back on 26-24 with a minute and a half left in the first half. Oakland held on for a 28-24 lead going into halftime.

“I think our defense was good,” Hamlet said. “We closed down on their shooters. We did well on the post players down low.”

Oakland came out strong in the second half, jumping out to a 37-30 lead. Nash’s defensive performance made a difference.

“Mostly I just wanted to make a defensive impact and I knew I had to rebound,” Nash said. “I knew that’s what coach wanted.”

With 8:17 left to go in the game, Oakland led 54-38. The 16-point lead was their highest of the game. American began clawing back, bringing it within 8 points with just over a minute left in the game. Oakland made clutch free throws in the last minute to secure the win, 70-60.

“(Starting) 2-0 is something every team dreams of,” Hamlet said. “Practice is paying off. We’re working hard and you can definitely tell in the games.”

Oakland will take on Buffalo Nov. 16 at 6:30 pm in the Athletics Center O’rena.