CAMPUS BRIEFS: Jan. 16

GrizzOrgs — Winter Student Involvement Fair

The Center for Student Activities will host a Winter Student Involvement Fair Jan. 17 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Fireside Lounge in the Oakland Center.

At this event, students can get information about joining different student organizations on campus.

For more information, contact the CSA office at 248-370-2024 or send an email to Allison Webster at [email protected]

Snyder to attend Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Ceremony

Jan. 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. the Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Award Ceremony will take place in the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center.

Now in its 20th year, six students will be awarded scholarships based on their leadership qualities and campus involvement among other achievements.

Speaking at this year’s event is Daymond John, who is the founder of the FUBU clothing line and stars in the reality show “Shark Tank.”

African-American Celebration Month: Opening Ceremony

The Center for Multicultural Initiatives will host the opening ceremony for African-American Celebration Month Jan. 21 from 1 to 3 p.m.  at the Pioneer Food Court in the Oakland Center.

This event is a part of Oakland University’s ongoing commitment to celebrating the history and cultural contributions that African-Americans have made.

For more information, contact the Center for Multicultural Initiatives at 248-370-4404 or send an email to [email protected]

Friday Night Live comedy show 

On Jan. 25 from 7 to 8 p.m., the Residence Halls Association will present Friday Night Live Comedy Show.

This event is free and refreshments will be served. The evening will feature a performance from Joseph Tran.

Guard the Grizz and Car Smash

This year’s Guard the Grizz and Car Smash will take place Jan. 25 from 10 p.m. to midnight.

This event will take place at the Grizz statue outside of the Recreation and Athletics Center.

This event is an OU tradition to ensure that OU’s treasured mascot is untouched prior the men’s basketball game against versus Western Illinois University.

Campus Open Houses

As a part of the Homecoming Celebrations, there will be a series of open houses on campus Jan. 26. The schools and colleges participating include:

– The College of Arts and Sciences

– The School of Engineering and Computer Science

– The Honors College

– The School of Education and Human Services

– Kresge Library

– The School of Health Sciences

– The School of Business Administration

– The School of Nursing

OUSC Homecoming Tailgate

Alumni, students, faculty and administration are invited to attend the OUSC Homecoming Tailgate Jan. 26 from 1 to 4 p.m. in parking lot 16.

There will be free food, drinks and giveaways, and immediately following is the men’s basketball game at 5 p.m.

Fraternities, Sororities alumni host reunion during Homecoming events

On Jan. 26 from 1 to 4:30 p.m. in the Greek tent in parking lot 16, there will be a Fraternities and Sororities Alumni reunion.

Current members, family and friends are also invited to this event.  It will be hosted by several fraternity and sorority alumni, and light refreshments will be served.

Casino night

The Student Program Board and University Housing will present a Casino Night Jan. 26 from 7:30 p.m. to midnight in the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center.

The evening will include a variety of games that students will compete in to win raffle tickets for big prizes at the end of the night.

Freshmen field trip to LEGO exhibit

There will  be a Freshmen Field Trip to the Henry Ford Museum for the LEGO Exhibit Jan. 27 from noon to 5 p.m.

Students who are interested in attending can sign up at the Hamlin Mail check-in desk.

Student body elections

The deadline for declaring your candidacy is Feb. 1 by 5 p.m., and voting is from March 18 to 20. Students can vote at

www.oakland.edu/voteou

Compiled by Natalie Popovski and Lilly Reid, Campus Editor and Staff Intern