Terms of student’s bond lifted

Reanna_Douglas

Reanna_Douglas

After waving her right to a preliminary trial on Nov. 6, Reanna Douglas, the Oakland University student who was charged with one count of criminal sexual conduct in the third degree, had the terms of her bond lifted today at the Oakland County 6th Circuit Court in Pontiac.

Douglas, 21, and her attorney, Cheryl Carpenter, appeared before Judge Daniel P. O’Brien this morning for the motion to lift the bond term. The terms of the student’s bond include an order to refrain from drinking alcohol or using controlled substances.

This is the second time the terms of Douglas’ bond have been requested to be lifted. She appeared before Judge Julie Nicholson at the Oakland County 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills on Nov. 6 to make this request, but it was denied because Nicholson felt it was necessary for this case.

O’Brien agreed to lift the terms, stating that the court found it appropriate. O’Brien said if Douglas does not behave appropriately, however, then the punishment will be much more severe.

This case stems from a report that Douglas was having an inappropriate relationship with a 15-year-old female lacrosse player from Lake Orion High School where Douglas was the team’s coach.

Douglas was terminated from her position with the school after the allegations were reported to the Oakland County Sherrif’s Office Orion Township Substation by the 15-year-old’s family in August.

Court documents state that the reported relationship occurred between June and August 2012.

If found guilty, criminal sexual conduct in the third degree is punishable up to 15 years in prison.

Douglas’ pretrial hearing will take place Feb. 25 at 8:30 a.m. at the Oakland County 6th Circuit Court.

CORRECTION: Douglas’ pretrial is Feb. 25 at 8:30 a.m. at the Oakland County 6th Circuit Court in front of Judge Daniel P. O’Brien.

The Oakland Post will continue to report on this as more information becomes available.