Technological love: a new age of dating

Technology plays a huge part everyday life. Now it plays a role in the way people meet. Online dating and relationships have increased in popularity due to a variety of factors such as age, time and ease.

Behind the Magic

With the demand for online relationships growing, more websites have been created to help make the connection easier. Trending right now are websites such as eHarmony, Match and Christian Mingle. Each attracts a different type of user, but it comes at a cost. Dating sites bring in yearly revenue of 1.049 billion dollars, according to www.statisticbrain.com. Most of these sites require payment and lengthy surveys. For those who can’t afford or choose not to use these sites, Facebook is making a name for itself in the online dating world.

“I actually met my boyfriend on Facebook,” said freshman Colleen Vann. “It seemed crazy to me at first but actually doing it has changed my opinion on the whole thing.” 

Students commonly meet each other through others profiles. Other times it can be as simple as liking a photo, as it was in Vann’s case.

“It all started with a photo of his that I liked.” said Vann. “It turned into a poke war and led to a never ending strand of conversations.”

Students can be quite hesitant meeting someone they met online for the first time.

However, others are find ways to settle the nerves.

Keeping the fire going

For those already in a relationship, the online world has its own benefits. Statistics from campusexplorer.com show that 32.5 percent of college relationships are long distance. A new trend has started thanks to Skype, an online program that allows its users to have conversations via webcam. Skype provides a way to help maintain a long distance relationship easier.

“Skype has really helped me to keep my relationship strong,” said freshman Jennifer Jacob. “My boyfriend Jordan and I make a point to Skype every day.”

Communication is the main factor in maintaining a long distance relationship, said Jacob. She has used the internet to better her relationship with her boyfriend.

“I feel in an online relationship you can’t have the same kind of relationship as if you were to have a tangible relationship.” Jacob said. “It takes a certain type of people to be able to sustain a relationship like this.”

The power of love

Trust plays a key factor in online relationships. Barriers and trust are two key things to keeping a relationship strong, Jacob said.

The barriers for online relationships differ from those of an average relationship. What an online relationship lacks in physical presence makes up in a deeper connection.

“When you can’t always be with each other, it longs for you to truly know the other person,” Jacob said. “You have to break down barriers and be willing to tell each other everything and anything.”

What has yet to come

The future is often a common topic for online relationships. Looking toward the future helps to ease the distance, Jacob said.

Most relationships make weekend dates to plan when they will meet again. Some range from watching a movie and staying in for the night to getting dressed up and spending a romantic evening together. These dates add an extra special vibe to the relationship.

“I’m very pleased with how my relationship turned out,” Jacob said. Even though this all may seem unconventional to some, Jacob doesn’t think so.

“How our relationship is structured may be different,” she said. “But in the end our love is the same as everyone else.”