Events Preview Oct. 16-22

An Evening with Dustin Black

Winner of the Academy Award and two Writer Guilds of America Awards for Best Original Screenplay for the film “Milk,” Dustin Black is coming to Oakland University Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m.

The Student Life Lecture Board, Gender and Sexuality Center and University of Michigan-Dearborn are presenting the event. Black is a screenwriter, producer, director and social activist.

The event will take place in the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center. The event is free and open to everyone. For more information, contact Jean Ann Miller at [email protected]

ASSE – Oakland University American Society of Safety Engineers Student Section Meeting

The Oakland University Student Section of American Society of Safety Engineers is welcoming all students to attend its Oct. 17 Student Section meeting.

At the meeting guest speaker from ABB Robotics, Jessica Morales, will share some safety challenges her company encountered. The event is free and open to all students. Food will be provided.

The event will take place in the Lake Michigan Room of the Oakland Center and is scheduled from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Grad Connection – Panel Discussion – “How to Get a Tenure Track Professor Job” 

Lorenzo Smith, associate dean for school of engineering and computer sciences, along with a panel of faculty from different departments will be leading a presentation to provide graduate students information on the hiring process for tenure track professors Friday, Oct. 18. The event will take place in 214 Elliot at is scheduled from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

This discussion will provide background information on how to prepare for future interviews. The job application usually consists of five separate parts — cover letter, research statement, teaching statement, CV and letters of recommendation. The discussion will allow for questions from students.

OU-Macomb County – Be Aware 5K Walk/Run for Suicide Prevention

The Be Aware 5K walk/run for suicide prevention will be held at Dakota High School Saturday, Oct. 19. Check in for the walk begins at 10 a.m. and the walk is expected to begin at 11 a.m. For more information, check out www.knowresolve.org

Eisenhower Dance: On the Move

Eisenhower Dance, a contemporary dance company, will be performing their season opener On the Move Saturday, Oct. 19. The prelude will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Varner Recital Hall.

General tickets are $18 and student tickets are $10. Eisenhower Dance is Oakland University’s resident professional dance company. Their show will feature drama, comedy and purely virtuosic pieces. For more information contact [email protected]

Students 4 Life – Rebecca Kiessling: Conceived In Rape

Rebecca Kiessling will be sharing her life testimony in the Fireside Lounge in the Oakland Center Monday, Oct. 21 at noon. Kiessling was adopted nearly at birth and will be sharing her testimony of discovery when she found out she was conceived in a rape. 

Maurice Brown Memorial Poetry Reading 

Laura Kasischke is guest poet for the 2013 Maurice Brown Memorial Poetry Reading, and will speak in the Gold Rooms of the Oakland Center Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 4:30 p.m.

This is the 26th annual series reading, sponsored by the Department of English and Creative Writing. This event tributes professor Maurice F. Brown who taught at the university until his death in 1985. This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.