Campus Events Preview: Oct. 30 – Nov. 5

Wednesday, Oct. 30

Living Little in an Average World: Dwarfism in the U.S.

October is Dwarfism Awareness Month. At noon in the Oakland Center Gold Rooms A and B, there will be a lecture from representatives from Little People of America.

The focus of the discussion will be about the realities of a little person living in a big world. The School of Nursing Dean’s Circle encourages members of the campus community to attend. For further information on the event contact, Heidi Donnelly at [email protected]

Saturday, Nov. 2

Mandatory Fall 2013 Graduation Fair

Students preparing for Fall 2013 graduation must attend the graduation fair. The fair is held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and Tuesday, Nov. 5 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The event is presented by Barnes & Noble at Oakland University. All guests are required to have tickets. Tickets can be picked up at the Academic Affairs table.

Students unable to attend the fair need to get a permission letter for a friend or family member to pick up their ticket. A photo ID is required. A professional photographer will be there as well. All students graduating must get their photos taken at this event.

There will also be opportunities to order class rings, select diploma frames and sign up as alumni. For more information, send an email to Angelica Proffett at [email protected]

Sunday, Nov. 3

The Cavani Quartet

The Cavani String Quartet will be at Varner Hall from 3 to 5 p.m. The quartet has been in-residence at the Cleveland Institute of Music since 1988.

Tickets for students are $10 and tickets for the public are $20. They will be performing “Innovation and Inspiration,” which features Mozart, Bartok and Debussy.

The quartet has appeared at Carnegie Hall and Alice Tully Hall located in New York. For more information, send an email to [email protected]

Monday, Nov. 4

OUSC – OUSC General Body Meeting

Oakland University Student Congress meets every Monday until Dec. 2 at 4 p.m. in the Oakland Room of the OC. It is an opportunity for students to hear updates and vocalize opinions. All meetings are open to the public.

Tuesday, Nov. 5

Bill Summers with Oakland Jazz Quartet

Oakland Jazz Quartet will be joining multiple Grammy, Billboard and Emmy award-winning producer, Bill Summers. Summers has worked closely with Quincy Jones on the ABC series “Roots,”  and movies such as “The Wiz” and “The Color Purple.”

Tickets for the general public are $14 and $8 for students. The performance will be at Varner Hall at 8 p.m. For further information, send an email to  [email protected]