Hasta el Próximo Año: Hispanic Celebration Month comes to an end

Oakland’s Hispanic Celebration Month is wrapping up, and those involved look back on this year’s highlights and anticipate its last three events.

“I find HCM to be the perfect way to share my interest in the culture, history and arts of Spanish-speaking countries with Oakland’s community,” said assistant professor of Spanish, Cecilia Saenz-Roby. “I’m very excited about all of the events.”   

Helping out

This year’s HCM included a community service project at the Hispanic Outreach Center in Pontiac. The center provides services, educational and skill-building programs to Hispanic parents and children who are currently adapting to a new life in the U.S.

“We just love it,” said assistant director of the Center for Multicultural Initiatives, Nicole Lucio.

By working in the garden, painting the fence and taking care of the weeds in the surrounding area, Lucio said it makes a huge difference when they all go out there and help them out.

The project also gave OU students an opportunity to speak with Hispanic kids and encourage them to go to college.

What’s around the corner

With 20 different countries represented from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, this year’s HCM hosted wide variety of happenings.

A bus will provide free transportation to three areas of Detroit that are known for their Hispanic culture — Mexicantown, Eastern Market and the D.I.A. Saturday, Oct. 12th. The bus will be leaving OU at 9 a.m. and will be returning at 6 p.m.

Following the events that included Kurt Metzger, Ruth Behar, Alina Fernandez and Mayda Del Valle, will be presenting a performance in the Gold Rooms of the Oakland Center Monday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m.

Lucio’s role in this year’s HCM required her to be a liaison to the CMI, where she invited people to sit on the committee and handled the marketing of the month’s celebrations.

“My favorite part of being on the committee was working with the professors, faculty and other students from various organizations,” said OU Spanish Club President Brendan Sharp. “They were all really creative and put a lot of work into making this month a success.”

To end the month’s celebrations, Oakland’s first “Latin Idol” will be held in the Fireside Lounge Tuesday, Oct. 15 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Contestants will be performing in Spanish and presenting any kind of talent that is related to Hispanic heritage.

Saenz-Roby, Lucio and Sharp are all looking forward to this event and they’re eager to see all of the participants and their performances.

“In addition to singing, there are going to be several other types of talents that promote the Hispanic culture,” Sharp said. “I’m excited to see both the contestants perform as well as the chemistry between the faculty judges.”

If you are interested in going to Mexicantown, Eastern Market and the D.I.A. Oct. 12th, you can sign up at the Center for Student Activities office in the Oakland Center’s basement. For more information on the last three events of Hispanic Celebration Month, visit oakland.edu/hcm