Professor uses Hispanic Heritage Month to expand community outreach

Cecilia Saenz-Roby has worked as an assistant professor at OU since 2008. Saenz-Roby teaches Spanish language and Hispanic American and Afro-Hispanic literature, culture and civilization. She is also a sponsor of OUs Spanish Club.

Cecilia Saenz-Roby has worked as an assistant professor at OU since 2008. Saenz-Roby teaches Spanish language and Hispanic American and Afro-Hispanic literature, culture and civilization. She is also a sponsor of OU’s Spanish Club.

It is a month that instills pride and brings communities together through dancing, food and community service. From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, Hispanic heritage is recognized all over the United States.

For one professor at Oakland University, it creates one of the best learning experiences for her students.

“This celebration is very close to my heart because I have a passion for sharing my interest in the culture, history and arts of the Spanish speaking countries with OU students,” Saenz-Roby said. “And I find the Hispanic Heritage Month to be the perfect opportunity for doing so.”

Since coming to Oakland, Saenz-Roby was happy to see the university had, and continues to have, a commitment to promoting diversity.

“When I arrived to Oakland University six years ago, I was pleased to discover that these educational events were an important tradition of our university,” she said. “I believe celebrations like this make this institution a hospitable environment for international students and faculty alike.”

The Hispanic Heritage Month events include The Island Festival, Community Outreach Project at Hispanic Outreach, Salsa Night and much more.

Saenz-Roby said she finds these events to be very beneficial to all members of the OU community for a variety of reasons.  

“Not only does it expose our student body to various aspects of Hispanic culture, but it also helps Hispanic students to better adjust to college life and Hispanic-American students to rediscover and appreciate their ancestors’ culture,” she said.

Being from Argentina, Saenz-Roby has a few traditions of her own.

“At home, I like to prepare traditional Argentinean food, such as empanadas, locro, tortitas and alfajores to enjoy with friends and family,” she said.

Saenz-Roby also likes to commit most of Hispanic Heritage Month to improving community outreach at OU.

“I like to spend this month creating and expanding bridges between our university and local nonprofit and educative institutions,” Saenz-Roby said. “I am a strong believer that the whole OU community needs to be in close contact with the community.” 

The professor explained that absorbing the culture of a foreign language goes hand in hand with learning the language itself.

“I always explain to my students that learning another language is intrinsically connected with knowledge of the culture of native speakers and the planned events will help them gain a better understanding of it,” Saenz-Roby said.