Theatre Department’s Hard Work Pays Off

Friday night: a time for students to relax, rewind and sleep off a stressful week.

But not for the members of the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance. This past Friday night meant singing in front of a crowd of strangers, presenting self-made costume designs and receiving on-the-spot critique from judges.

Members of the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance traveled to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where they competed at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF). Oakland’s Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance was invited and nominated to the regional competition, where eight students participated in a variety of competitions.

“Once I decided to go to the competition, I felt really pumped and really excited,” Ellie Teucke said. “We had a lot of competition this year so it was cool to just go and represent Oakland.”

The KCACTF is a national theatre program that holds state, regional and national competitions for students majoring in theatre. Competitions at the regional level are designed to highlight a variety of students’ abilities, ranging from vocal competitions to costume design presentations. Three attending students took home top prizes, while another placed as a finalist.

Brian Baylor won the Voice and Speech Trainer’s Association award for vocal performance, along with partner Gabrielle Minchella, and Aubrey Fink earned the Musical Theatre Award, along with partner Nathan Larkins. Teucke placed as a finalist for Unrealized Costume Design.

“It is such an accomplishment and such an awesome feeling to be a finalist,” Teucke said. “I wasn’t expecting to move on, so I felt very fortunate to say I’m a finalist.”

Topping the winners was Cassady Temple, who earned the Alternate Irene Ryan recipient award, accompanied by her partner Stefanie Sambrano. Along with the title, Temple received a $500 scholarship. If the first place winner of the Irene Ryan recipient award is unable to make it to the national level competition, Temple will participate in their place.

“I was so excited with the nomination. To be nominated as an Irene Ryan recipient competitor is a huge honor, especially after one of my first lead roles. Immediately after the excitement, I felt really nervous for the work load I was taking on,” Temple said.

Preparation for each participant started months in advance. With the end of 2014 came new pressure. Weeks before competition, the students finalized posters, practiced vocal performances and perfected their delivery for the judges.

“In the last couple weeks, we rehearsed like crazy,” Temple said. “It was really nerve-wracking to perform a preview in front of our department before we left, but it was worth it to feel completely prepared.”

Along with the final preparation of posters, vocals and rehearsals, the winning participants focused on their mental preparation as well. Members received on-the-spot critique from judges, which helped build their personal portfolios and their confidence.

“It’s a cool atmosphere because at Oakland there are only a few teachers who can give you specific advice on certain pieces,” Teucke said. “To be able to go and hear from other schools and other professionals, it was cool to get their opinions and let their work influence me.”