A study break snack, minus the calories

Overeating is a confirmed sign of longterm stress, according to studies done at the Harvard Medical School. Exams are right around the corner. If you’re going to binge, why not reach for something that is just as healthy as it is tasty?

Enlightened Ice Cream’s new campaign “#FeelinglightwithEnlightened” features 30 flavors of healthy ice cream pints and 11 flavors of ice cream bars. These snacks provide college students with an accessible and nutritious study-break treat.

Flavors range from cold brew coffee and french toast to cookie dough and sea-salt caramel.

Dairy free and vegan students can also try #FeelinglightwithEnlightened with their eight dairy free flavors. All Enlightened pints range from $5-6 and bars range from $3-4.

Other companies like Halo Top have attempted similar campaigns, selling guilt-free ice cream flavors. They claim to be low calorie, low sugar ice cream alternatives.

Enlightened is different because it provides the great taste of ice cream with healthy, natural ingredients.

The ingredients include monk fruit extract, cane sugar, skim milk, natural flavors and milk protein. Enlightened combines the health benefits of Halo Top with the taste of Ben & Jerry’s.

“I looked at the labels of a lot of the products, and they were low in fat, but high in sugar, or sugar free, but loaded with sugar alcohols that have the same effect as sugar,” Enlightened Ice Cream CEO Michael Shoretz said in a November press release. “Or they were more like frozen yogurt, and just not satisfying.”

Shortez has a bachelor’s degree from Brandeis University in health policy and is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. He launched Enlightened in 2013.

Enlightened Ice Cream is marketed as a low calorie ice cream that college students can snack on during exams without risking the freshman 15.

For example, Enlightened’s Butter Pecan flavor has 90 calories, 5 grams of fat, 3 grams of sugar, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. In contrast, Bryers Delight Butter Pecan has 160 calories, 6 grams of fat, 12 grams of sugar, 2 grams of protein and 0 grams of fiber.

In comparison to brands like Cold Stone Creamery, Enlightened has half the calories and twice the protein. 

According to the aforementioned study from Harvard, longterm stress produces a hormone called cortisol, which increases the appetite and the motivation to eat.

Oakland University students begin final exams on Dec. 10. Studies have shown an increase in the purchase of junk food during the time in which students study for exams.

Deema Ujayli, an OU student and certified nutritionist, understands that stress eating can be hard to avoid. She recommends snacking on things like greek yogurt, fresh fruit and vegetables, and peanut butter and apples, but also thinks Enlightened is a great way for students to treat themselves.

“Enlightened uses sugar alcohols instead of added sugar, which makes the calorie count lower while maintaining a great taste,” Ujayli said.

Enlightened Ice Cream can be purchased at the Whole Foods location on Walton Boulevard, Target on Rochester Road, Papa Joe’s on Rochester Road and Kroger on Livernois Road.

Just in time for the holidays, Enlightened Ice Cream features flavors like white chocolate peppermint mocha, frozen hot chocolate and toasted almond.