New York Fashion Week Spring Summer 19: The shows, trends, and future of fashion

Katarina Kovac, Campus Editor

New York Fashion Week is one of the best weeks of the year—as much as that pains the journalists to say. Like all things, the fashion world goes big on prints, statements and shows. This season was no different.

Ralph Lauren celebrated 50 years in the fashion business with a dazzling runway show in Central Park, in which Oprah, Hillary Clinton, Steven Spielberg, Kanye West, Blake Lively, Jessica Chastain, Pierce Brosnan, Calvin Klein, Diane von Furstenberg and Donna Karan were also in attendance. No big deal.

There were sweaters for ski weekends, velvet slip dresses, lace gowns, varsity knits, camel coats and patchwork—more often than not all worn together. It was a major moment for American fashion and a designer who molded it into what it is today.

Tory Burch displayed looks that featured long white dresses, tunics, colorful safari sets, and chiffon gowns—something for every die hard Tory girl.

Tom Ford’s Spring 2019 collection was filled with a mixture of retro glamour and elevated basics. From croc-embossed ’80s power suits to ’70s head scarves and silk tuxedo jackets, Ford put his own updated twist on an array of throwback trends and signaled their comeback.

“Given the harshness of the world, a softer color palette seemed right to me this season,” Tom Ford said in a release. “I feel that fashion has somehow lost its way, and it is easy for all of us to be swept up in trends…I did not want to make clothes that were ironic, or clever, but simply clothes that were beautiful.”

Chromat, a label backed by designer Becca McCharen-Tran, is a leader in making fashion a more inclusive and diverse industry.  Their cast of models with different bodies, skin tones, abilities, identities was thrilling this season.

A pink and red two-piece, a white crop top with “sample size” written across it (which was clearly not the industry’s version of sample size), and Mama Cax in a black cover up with a neon green top, as well as a runway filled with transgender, nonbinary, curvy, Black, Asian, White, Hispanic, differently abled, short and tall models gave the industry a lesson on what an inclusive runway actually looks like.

Designer Carly Cushnie looked to her Caribbean roots as an inspiration for the new season. On the runway there were coral reds, neon yellows, seafoam greens and nautical blues paired with woven bags and bold lips.

Nicola Glass’s first collection for Kate Spade was a sight to see, as fresh color combinations like pale lilac and maroon with navy took the runway. Jeremy Scott’s runway show, in its typical grandiose fashion, featured high-heeled fishing suits, as well as a favorite look of the night which was the one Jeremy Scott himself wore when he took his victory lap on the catwalk: a plain white tank with “Tell Your Senator No On Kavanaugh 212-902-7129.” Jeremy Scott’s clothes always have something to say, even if it is very literal.

As with every Fashion Week season, our eyes are as much on the street style as they are the runway. Think layered slip dresses, a hint of plaid and an ever-present dose of style whimsy in every look. Spring can’t come sooner.